LTK Laser Eye Surgery
- Introduction to LTK laser eye surgery
- What Are the Advantages of LTK Laser Eye Surgery?
- What are the disadvantages of LTK laser eye surgery?
- What are the potential side effects of LTK laser eye surgery
- Who's a candidate for LTK laser eye surgery?
- How should I prepare for LTK laser eye surgery?
- What happens during the LTK laser eye surgery?
- What should I expect after the LTK laser eye surgery?
- Find a local Eye Doctor in your town
Introduction to LTK Laser eye Surgery
During LTK laser eye surgery, a laser beam uses heat to shrink and reshape the cornea. Vision problems from farsightedness or astigmatism are corrected in a matter of seconds, without any cutting or removal of tissue.
Although highly effective in the short-term, the results of LTK laser eye surgery are not permanent. Your vision gradually regresses, mostly during the first three months following LTK laser eye surgery. To compensate, the doctor will intentionally overcorrect, so you end up with your desired vision.
What are the advantages of LTK laser eye surgery?
The advantages of LTK laser eye surgery include:
- Little risk of infection or vision loss since the laser is the only thing that touches the eye during LTK laser eye surgery.
- LTK laser eye surgery s very fast.
- Little discomfort results from LTK laser eye surgery and patients are often able to resume normal activities the following day.
What Are the Disadvantages of LTK Laser Eye Surgery?
The disadvantages of LTK laser eye surgery include:
- LTK laser eye surgery is not permanent.
- Patients experience temporary nearsightedness following the procedure since over-correction of vision is required to account for regression. Some patients may even need to wear glasses for a few weeks following LTK laser eye surgery.
- It is common for people who have had the LTK laser eye surgery to lose about half of the corrective effects within two years of the surgery.
What Are the Potential Side Effects of LTK Laser Eye Surgery?
Other than nearsightedness, you may also feel as if you have a foreign object in your eye. But this sensation should go away after the first day with the help of eye drops given to you by your doctor. You may also experience sensitivity to light the first day or so following LTK laser eye surgery, but pain or other discomfort is rarely associated with this procedure.
Who's a Candidate for LTK Laser Eye Surgery?
Due to its non-permanent effects, LTK laser eye surgery is only performed in people over the age of 40 who are mildly farsighted. Other than age, the qualifications for this surgery are the same as the qualifications for any refractive surgery.
Get breaking medical news.