Lump or Mass on Gums
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
The presence of a lump, or mass, on the gums can be indicative of several different conditions. An infection, such as a bacterial infection or localized abscess, can present as a mass on the gums. Oral cancers (mouth or gum cancer) or tumors of the teeth or jaw are rarer causes of a mass on the gums. Traumatic injuries and canker sores are some of the more common causes of a mass on the gums. Sometimes, the hormonal changes of pregnancy can cause a small lump or bump to form near the gum line, known as a pyogenic granuloma or granuloma gravidarum.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Goldman, Kim E. "Mandibular Cysts and Odontogenic Tumors." eMedicine.com. May 20, 2009. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/852734-overview>.
Stephen, James M. "Gingivitis." eMedicine.com. Nov. 23, 2009. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/763801-overview>.
Causes of Lump or Mass on Gums
In This ArticleAbscessed Tooth Article
- What is an abscessed tooth?
- What causes an abscessed tooth?
- What are the signs and symptoms of an abscessed tooth?
- How is an abscessed tooth diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for an abscessed tooth?
- What is the prognosis for an abscessed tooth?
- Are home remedies effective for an abscessed tooth?
- Can an abscessed tooth be prevented?
In This ArticleBoils Article
- Boils facts
- What is a boil? What are boil symptoms and signs?
- What causes boils to form?
- What are risk factors for boils?
- How are boils diagnosed?
- What are boil treatments and home remedies?
- When should someone seek medical attention for a boil?
- What is the prognosis (outcome) for a boil?
- What can be done to prevent boils (abscesses)?
In This ArticleCanker Sores Article
- Canker sores facts
- What are canker sores?
- What are symptoms and signs of canker sores?
- What are the causes of canker sores?
- Are canker sores the same thing as fever blisters?
- What is the treatment for canker sores?
- What kind of topical medications (gels or ointments) are available for canker sores?
- Can mouthwash solutions be used to treat canker sores?
- What oral medications are available to help canker sores?
- What should I do if I get canker sores frequently?
In This ArticleCyst Article
- Cyst facts
- What is a cyst?
- What causes a cyst?
- What are the different types of cysts?
- What are risk factors for a cyst?
- What are cyst symptoms and signs?
- How do physicians diagnose a cyst?
- What is the treatment for a cyst?
- What is the prognosis of a cyst?
- Is it possible to prevent a cyst?
Gardner's Syndrome (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis) Gardners' syndrome, or familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), is an inherited condition in which cancer of the colon and rectum...learn more »In This ArticleGardner's Syndrome (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis) Article
- What is familial adenomatous polyposis?
- How common is familial adenomatous polyposis?
- What genes are related to familial adenomatous polyposis?
- How do people inherit familial adenomatous polyposis?
- Where can I find information about treatment for familial adenomatous polyposis?
- What other names do people use for familial adenomatous polyposis?
In This ArticleGum Disease Article
- What is gum disease (gingivitis)?
- What is the difference between gingivitis and periodontal disease?
- What causes gum disease?
- Does gum disease cause bad breath?
- What are other gum disease symptoms and signs?
- How is gum disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for gum disease?
- Are home remedies or natural treatments effective for gum disease?
- Can gum disease be reversed?
- Is gum disease associated with other health problems?
- How is gum disease managed in children?
- How is gum disease managed in pregnancy?
- Can gum disease be prevented?
- Is gum disease contagious?
In This ArticleOral Cancer Article
- Oral cancer facts*
- What is the oral cavity?
- What is cancer?
- Who's at risk for oral cancer?
- What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
- How is oral cancer diagnosed?
- How is oral cancer treated?
- Methods of treatment
- What are the side effects of treatment for oral cancer?
- What is rehabilitation for oral cancer?
- What happens after treatment for oral cancer?
- What does the future hold for patients with oral cancer?
- What resources are available to patients with oral cancer?
In This ArticlePregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters) Article
- Pregnancy facts*
- What is the first trimester (week 1-week 12)?
- What is the second trimester (week 13-week 28)?
- What is the third trimester (week 29-week 40)?
- How will my baby develop week by week?
- What are the changes that happen to a woman's body during her 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy?
- Body aches
- Breast changes
- Fatigue, sleep problems
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Hemorrhoids during pregnancy
- Leg cramps
- Morning sickness
- Nasal problems
- Numb or tingling hands
- Stretch marks, skin changes
- Urinary frequency and leaking
- Varicose veins
Other Causes of Lump or Mass on Gums
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.