"Sleep disorder drugs (hypnotic and sedative drugs) overview
Insomnia, a disorder in which there is difficulty sleeping, occurs occasionally in most people but usually lasts only a few days. The body then "corrects" itself "...
Lunesta Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Lunesta
Generic Name: eszopiclone (Pronunciation: e ZOP i klone)
- What is eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
- What are the possible side effects of eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
- What is the most important information I should know about eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
- How should I take eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Lunesta)?
- What happens if I overdose (Lunesta)?
- What should I avoid while taking eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
- What other drugs will affect eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
Eszopiclone is a sedative, also called a hypnotic. It affects chemicals in your brain that may become unbalanced and cause sleep problems (insomnia).
Eszopiclone is used to treat insomnia. This medication causes relaxation to help you fall asleep and stay asleep.
Eszopiclone may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
Stop using eszopiclone and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- aggression, agitation, changes in behavior;
- thoughts of hurting yourself; or
- hallucinations (hearing or seeing things).
Less serious side effects may include:
- day-time drowsiness, dizziness, "hangover" feeling;
- problems with memory or concentration;
- anxiety, depression, nervous feeling;
- nausea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, constipation;
- dry mouth;
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Lunesta (eszopiclone) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, eating, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking eszopiclone and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder.
Eszopiclone can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. You may still feel sleepy the morning after taking the medication. Until you know how this medication will affect you during waking hours, be careful if you drive, operate machinery, pilot an airplane, or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Do not drink alcohol while you are taking eszopiclone. It can increase some of the side effects of eszopiclone, including drowsiness.
Eszopiclone may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Eszopiclone should never be shared with another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
You may have withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking eszopiclone after taking it over several days in a row. Do not stop taking eszopiclone suddenly without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely.
Additional Lunesta Information
- Lunesta Drug Interactions Center: eszopiclone oral
- Lunesta Side Effects Center
- Lunesta Overview including Precautions
- Lunesta FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Lunesta - User Reviews
Lunesta User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.