Lupron Depot 11.25
"Treatment approaches for endometriosis often rely on a combination of evidence-based and experience-based (“unsubstantiated” by systematic data and research) approaches. As a result, women with endometriosis may find only temporary or no relief f"...
Lupron Depot 11.25 mg
Lupron Depot 11.25 mg
Lupron Depot 11.25 mg Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-Ped
Generic Name: leuprolide (Pronunciation: LOO proe lide)
- What is leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
- What are the possible side effects of leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
- What is the most important information I should know about leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
- How should I use leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
- What happens if I overdose (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
- What should I avoid while using leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
- What other drugs will affect leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
Leuprolide is a man-made form of a hormone that regulates many processes in the body. Leuprolide overstimulates the body's own production of certain hormones, which causes that production to shut down temporarily. Leuprolide reduces the amount of testosterone in men or estrogen in women.
Leuprolide is used in men to treat the symptoms of prostate cancer. Leuprolide treats only the symptoms of prostate cancer and does not treat the cancer itself. Use any other medications your doctor has prescribed to best treat your condition.
Leuprolide is used in women to treat symptoms of endometriosis (overgrowth of uterine lining outside of the uterus) or uterine fibroids.
Leuprolide is also used to treat precocious (early-onset) puberty in both male and female children.
Leuprolide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- bone pain, loss of movement in any part of your body;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- pain, burning, stinging, bruising, or redness where the medication was injected;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- painful or difficult urination;
- urinating more often than usual;
- high blood sugar (increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, blurred vision, weight loss);
- sudden numbness or weakness (especially on one side of the body), problems with speech or balance;
- sudden headache with vision problems, vomiting, confusion, slow heart rate, weak pulse, fainting, or slow breathing; or
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling.
Rare but serious side effects may include:
- pain or unusual sensations in your back;
- numbness, weakness, or tingly feeling in your legs or feet;
- muscle weakness or loss of use; and
- loss of bowel or bladder control.
Less serious side effects may include:
- acne, increased growth of facial hair;
- breakthrough bleeding in a female child during the first 2 months of leuprolide treatment;
- dizziness, weakness, tired feeling;
- hot flashes, night sweats, chills, clammy skin;
- nausea, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain;
- skin redness, itching, or scaling;
- joint or muscle pain;
- vaginal itching or discharge
- breast swelling or tenderness;
- testicle pain;
- impotence, loss of interest in sex;
- depression, sleep problems (insomnia), memory problems; or
- redness, burning, stinging, or pain where the shot was given.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Lupron Depot 11.25 mg (leuprolide acetate for depot suspension) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about leuprolide (Lupron Depot 11.25 mg)?
You should not breast-feed while you are using leuprolide.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to leuprolide or similar medications such as buserelin (Suprefact, Suprecor), goserelin (Zoladex), histrelin (Supprelin), or nafarelin (Synarel).
You should not use leuprolide if you have abnormal vaginal bleeding that has not been diagnosed by a doctor.
Before using leuprolide, tell your doctor if you have epilepsy, asthma, migraines, heart or kidney disease, a history of depression, osteoporosis, bone cancer affecting your spine, blood in your urine, or if you are unable to urinate.
Tell your doctor if you have a personal or family history of osteoporosis, or if you have any risk factors for bone loss such as smoking, alcohol use, or taking steroid or seizure medications long term. Long-term use of this medication may decrease bone density, possibly leading to osteoporosis.
Certain brands or strengths of leuprolide are used to treat only men and should not be used in women or children. Always check your medication to make sure you have received the correct brand and strength prescribed by your doctor.
Additional Lupron Depot 11.25 mg Information
- Lupron Depot 11.25 mg Drug Interactions Center: leuprolide (3 month) im
- Lupron Depot 11.25 mg Side Effects Center
- Lupron Depot 11.25 mg Overview including Precautions
- Lupron Depot 11.25 mg FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Lupron Depot 11.25 mg - User Reviews
Lupron Depot 11.25 mg User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.