Lupron Depot 7.5
"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Xofigo (radium Ra 223 dichloride) to treat men with symptomatic late-stage (metastatic) castration-resistant prostate cancer that has spread to bones but not to other organs. It is intended for"...
Lupron Depot 7.5 mg
LUPRON DEPOT 7.5 mg for 1-month administration is indicated in the palliative treatment of advanced prostatic cancer.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
LUPRON DEPOT must be administered under the supervision of a physician.
The recommended dose of LUPRON DEPOT is 7.5 mg for 1-month administration, incorporated in a depot formulation. Due to different release characteristics, a fractional dose, or a combination of doses of this depot formulation is not equivalent to the same dose of the monthly formulation and should not be given.
Incorporated in a depot formulation, the lyophilized microspheres are to be reconstituted and administered every 4 weeks as a single intramuscular injection.
For optimal performance of the prefilled dual chamber syringe (PDS), read and follow the following instructions:
- The lyophilized microspheres are to be reconstituted and administered as a single intramuscular injection.
- Since LUPRON DEPOT does not contain a preservative, the suspension should be injected immediately or discarded if not used within two hours.
- As with other drugs administered by injection, the injection site should be varied periodically.
1. The LUPRON DEPOT powder should be visually inspected and the syringe should NOT BE USED if clumping or caking is evident. A thin layer of powder on the wall of the syringe is considered normal prior to mixing with the diluent. The diluent should appear clear.
2. To prepare for injection, screw the white plunger into the end stopper until the stopper begins to turn.
3. Hold the syringe UPRIGHT. Release the diluent by SLOWLY PUSHING (6 to 8 seconds) the plunger until the first stopper is at the blue line in the middle of the barrel.
4. Keep the syringe UPRIGHT. Gently mix the microspheres (powder) thoroughly to form a uniform suspension. The suspension will appear milky. If the powder adheres to the stopper or caking/clumping is present, tap the syringe with your finger to disperse. DO NOT USE if any of the powder has not gone into suspension.
5. Hold the syringe UPRIGHT. With the opposite hand pull the needle cap upward without twisting.
6. Keep the syringe UPRIGHT. Advance the plunger to expel the air from the syringe.
7. After cleaning the injection site with an alcohol swab, insert the needle completely at a 90 degree angle.
NOTE: Aspirated blood would be visible just below the luer lock connection if a blood vessel is accidentally penetrated. If present, blood can be seen through the transparent LuproLoc® safety device. If blood is present remove the needle immediately. Do not inject the medication.
8. Inject the entire contents of the syringe intramuscularly at the time of reconstitution. The suspension settles very quickly following reconstitution; therefore, LUPRON DEPOT should be mixed and used immediately.
9. Withdraw the needle. Immediately activate the LuproLoc® safety device by pushing the arrow forward with the thumb or finger, as illustrated, until the device is fully extended and a CLICK is heard or felt.
Each LUPRON DEPOT 7.5 mg for 1-month administration kit (NDC 0074-3642-03) contains:
- one prefilled dual-chamber syringe containing needle with LuproLoc® safety device
- one plunger
- two alcohol swabs
- a complete prescribing information enclosure
The prefilled dual-chamber syringe contains sterile lyophilized microspheres of leuprolide acetate incorporated in a biodegradable lactic acid/glycolic acid copolymer. When mixed with 1 mL of accompanying diluent, LUPRON DEPOT 7.5 mg for 1-month administration is administered as a single monthly intramuscular injection.
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15–30°C (59–86°F) [See USP Controlled Room Temperature]
1. NIOSH Alert: Preventing occupational exposures to antineoplastic and other hazardous drugs in healthcare settings. 2004. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2004-165.
2. OSHA Technical Manual, TED 1-0.15A, Section VI: Chapter 2. Controlling Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Drugs. OSHA, 1999. http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_vi/otm_vi_2.html
3. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. ASHP guidelines on handling hazardous drugs. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2006; 63; 1172-1193.
4. Polovich, M., White, J.M., & Kelleher, L.O. (eds.) 2005. Chemotherapy and biotherapy guidelines and recommendations for practice (2nd Ed.) Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society.
Manufactured for AbbVie Inc. North Chicago, IL 60064 By Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited Osaka, Japan 540-8645. Rev. 7/2013
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/24/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Lupron Depot 7.5 mg Information
Lupron Depot 7.5 mg - User Reviews
Lupron Depot 7.5 mg User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.