"The European Medicines Agency (EMA) Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) has recommended approval of dalbavancin 500 mg (Xydalba, Durata Therapeutics) for acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSI) in ad"...
(betamethasone valerate) Foam, 0.12%
Your doctor has prescribed Luxiq (betamethasone valerate) Foam, 0.12%, for the relief of corticosteroid-responsive skin conditions of the scalp. Luxiq works because its active ingredient is betamethasone valerate, 0.12%. Betamethasone belongs to a group of medicines known as topical corticosteroids. These agents are used to reduce the inflammation, redness, swelling, itching, and tenderness associated with dermatologic conditions.
Other ingredients in Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) include cetyl alcohol, citric acid, ethanol, polysorbate 60, potassium citrate, propylene glycol, purified water, and stearyl alcohol. The foam is dispensed from an aluminum can that is pressurized by a hydrocarbon propellant (propane and butane).
If you answer YES to one or more of the following questions, tell your doctor (or pharmacist) before using this medicine, so you can get advice about what to do.
- Are you allergic to any of the ingredients contained in Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) ?
- Are you pregnant? Planning on becoming pregnant while using Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) ? Or are you breastfeeding?
- Do you think you have an infection on your scalp?
How to apply Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam)
Turn the can upside down and dispense a small amount of Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) onto a clean saucer or other cool, clean surface. Do not dispense directly onto hands, as foam will begin to melt immediately upon contact with warm skin. How to apply Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam)
Pick up small amounts of foam with fingers and gently massage into affected area until foam disappears. Repeat until entire affected scalp area is treated. Apply twice daily, once in the morning and once at night. Use sparingly-only enough to cover the affected areas.
Gently massage the foam in until it is absorbed and allow the areas to dry naturally.
When applying to the scalp, move the hair away so that the foam can be applied directly to each affected area.
Wash your hands immediately after applying Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) , and discard any unused dispensed medication.
Do not wash or rinse the treated areas immediately after applying Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) .
- Do not use this medication for any condition other than the one for which it was prescribed.
- Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) is for external use only.
- Keep the foam away from your eyes, as it will sting. If the foam gets into your eyes, rinse well with cold water. If the stinging continues, contact your doctor immediately.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOWABOUT LUXIQ (betamethasone valerate foam) :
What to do if you miss an application If you forget to apply Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) at the scheduled time, use it as soon as you remember, and then go back to your regular schedule. If you remember at or about the time of your next daily application, apply that dose and continue with your normal application schedule. If you miss several doses, tell your doctor at your next appointment.
About side effects
As with all medications, there may be some side effects. The most frequent side effects associated with the use of Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) include mild burning, stinging, or itching at the site of application. These side effects typically disappear shortly after application. Let your doctor know if you notice any of the following:
- Any unusual effects that you do not understand.
- Affected areas that do not seem to be healing after several weeks of using the foam.
Important safety notes
- The treated areas should not be bandaged or covered unless directed by your doctor.
- Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children.
- Store the can at controlled room temperature 68-77°F (20-25°C) and protect it from direct sunlight, as this is a pressurized container.
- Keep away from and do not spray near fire, open flame, or direct heat -this product is flammable. Do not smoke while using or holding the can. Keep the can away from all sources of ignition. Do not pierce or burn the can, and never throw the can in a fire, even if empty. When you have finished your treatment, dispose of the can safely. A completely empty can is recyclable.
- Do not use the foam after the expiration date shown on the bottom of the can.
- Do not give Luxiq (betamethasone valerate foam) to anyone else. Your doctor has prescribed this medicine for your use only.
Last reviewed on RxList: 9/29/2008
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Luxiq Information
Luxiq - User Reviews
Luxiq User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.