Lyrica Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is pregabalin (Lyrica)?
- What are the possible side effects of pregabalin (Lyrica)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pregabalin (Lyrica)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking pregabalin (Lyrica)?
- How should I take pregabalin (Lyrica)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Lyrica)?
- What happens if I overdose (Lyrica)?
- What should I avoid while taking pregabalin (Lyrica)?
- What other drugs will affect pregabalin (Lyrica)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking pregabalin (Lyrica)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to pregabalin.
To make sure you can safely take pregabalin, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- congestive heart failure;
- diabetes (unless you are taking pregabalin to treat diabetic neuropathy);
- kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);
- a bleeding disorder;
- low levels of platelets in your blood;
- a history of depression or suicidal thoughts;
- a history of drug or alcohol addiction; or
- if you have ever had a severe allergic reaction.
You may have thoughts about suicide while taking this medication. Tell your doctor if you have new or worsening depression or suicidal thoughts during the first several months of treatment, or whenever your dose is changed.
Your family or other caregivers should also be alert to changes in your mood or symptoms. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether pregabalin will harm an unborn baby, but having a seizure during pregnancy could harm both mother and baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant while taking pregabalin for seizures. Do not start or stop taking pregabalin during pregnancy without your doctor's advice.
If you become pregnant, your name may be listed on a pregnancy registry. This is to track the outcome of the pregnancy and to evaluate any effects of pregabalin on the baby.
If a man fathers a child while using this medication, the baby may have birth defects. Use a condom to prevent pregnancy during your treatment.
It is not known whether pregabalin passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using pregabalin.
Do not give this medication to a child younger than 18 years old.
How should I take pregabalin (Lyrica)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
You may take pregabalin with or without food.
Do not change your dose of pregabalin without your doctor's advice. Tell your doctor if the medication does not seem to work as well in treating your condition.
Call your doctor if you have any problems with your vision while taking pregabalin.
If you are taking pregabalin to prevent seizures, keep taking it even if you feel fine. You may have an increase in seizures if you stop taking pregabalin. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Do not stop using pregabalin without first talking to your doctor, even if you feel fine. You may have increased seizures or withdrawal symptoms such as headache, sleep problems, nausea, and diarrhea. Ask your doctor how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop using pregabalin.
Wear a medical alert tag or carry an ID card stating that you take pregabalin. Any medical care provider who treats you should know that you take seizure medication.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, light, and heat.
Additional Lyrica Information
Lyrica - User Reviews
Lyrica User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.