- What other names is Macadamia Nut known by?
- What is Macadamia Nut?
- How does Macadamia Nut work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Macadamia Nut.
Roasted macadamia nuts are a popular snack. But some people also use macadamia nuts as medicine to lower high cholesterol.
Possibly Effective for...
- Lowering cholesterol. Eating macadamia nuts as part of a healthy diet seems to lower total and "bad" low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and to raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. But the changes aren't huge. Men with high cholesterol who eat 17-37 nuts per day for four weeks can see their total cholesterol drop by about 3%, their LDL cholesterol drop by about 5%, and their HDL rise by about 8%.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tips to keep it under control.