"Diagnosing and treating TB in correctional facilities is a key component to TB elimination in the United States.
Tuberculosis (TB) is a disease caused by bacteria that are spread through the air from person to person. If not treated pro"...
Macrodantin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin
Generic Name: nitrofurantoin (Pronunciation: NYE troe fue RAN toin)
- What is nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
- What are the possible side effects of nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
- How should I take nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Macrodantin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Macrodantin)?
- What should I avoid while taking nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
- What other drugs will affect nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
Nitrofurantoin is an antibiotic that fights bacteria in the body.
Nitrofurantoin is used to treat urinary tract infections.
Nitrofurantoin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Macrobid 100 mg
black/yellow, capsule, imprinted with Macrobid, Norwich
Nitrofuantoin Macro-Mono 100 mg-EON
capsule, black/white, imprinted with E 122
Nitrofurantoin 100 mg-MYL
gray, capsule, imprinted with MYLAN 1700
Nitrofurantoin 100 mg-ZEN
pink, capsule, imprinted with LOGO Zenith 100 mg, 2131
Nitrofurantoin 50 mg-GG
white/yellow, imprinted with GG 535
Nitrofurantoin 50 mg-MYL
beige, capsule, imprinted with MYLAN 1650
Nitrofurantoin 50 mg-ZEN
pink/white, imprinted with LOGO Zenith 50 mg, 2130
Nitrofurantoin Macro 50 mg-TEV
capsule, pink/white, imprinted with LOGO Zenith 50 mg, 2130
Nitrofurantoin Macrocrystals 100 mg-WAT
yellow, imprinted with WATSON, 3254
Nitrofurantoin Macrocrystals 50 mg-WAT
white/yellow, imprinted with WATSON, 3253
Nitrofurantoin Mono 100 mg-MYL
capsule, gray/peach, imprinted with MYLAN 3422
Nitrofurantoin Mono 100 mg-WAT
black/yellow, imprinted with WATSON, 3250
What are the possible side effects of nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using nitrofurantoin and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- shortness of breath, running out of breath easily;
- sudden chest pain or discomfort, wheezing, dry cough or hack;
- fever, chills, body aches, unexplained weight loss;
- peripheral neuropathy - numbness, tingling, or pain in your hands or feet;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- pale skin, easy bruising, confusion or weakness;
- patchy skin color, red spots, or a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- severe headache, ringing in your ears, dizziness, vision problems, pain behind your eyes.
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach, vomiting;
- mild diarrhea;
- rust-colored or brownish urine; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin macrocystals capsule) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin)?
You should not take nitrofurantoin if you are allergic to it, or if you have severe kidney disease, urination problems, or a history of jaundice or liver problems caused by nitrofurantoin.
Do not take nitrofurantoin if you are in the last 2 to 4 weeks of pregnancy.
Before you take nitrofurantoin, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, anemia, diabetes, an electrolyte imbalance or vitamin B deficiency, a genetic enzyme deficiency, or any type of debilitating disease.
Take nitrofurantoin with food.
Avoid using antacids without your doctor's advice. Use only the type of antacid your doctor recommends. Some antacids can make it harder for your body to absorb nitrofurantoin.
Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Nitrofurantoin will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Stop taking this medication and call your doctor at once if you have sudden chest pain, dry cough, or breathing problems.
Additional Macrodantin Information
Macrodantin - User Reviews
Macrodantin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.