- What other names is Maitake Mushroom known by?
- What is Maitake Mushroom?
- How does Maitake Mushroom work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Maitake Mushroom.
Maitake mushroom is used to treat cancer and also to relieve some of the side effects of chemical treatment (chemotherapy) for cancer. It is also used for HIV/AIDS, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), hepatitis, hay fever, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, weight loss or control, and infertility due to a condition called polycystic ovary syndrome.
If you decide to harvest maitake mushrooms, make sure you can tell them apart from poisonous mushrooms. This job is probably best left to experts.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Diabetes. Early research suggests that taking maitake mushroom polysaccharides (MMP) by mouth may lower blood sugar in people with diabetes.
- An ovary disorder known as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Early research shows that taking a specific product (SX-Fraction by Mushroom Wisdom) containing maitake mushroom extract can improve ovulation in women whose periods have stopped due to PCOS. Maitake mushroom does not appear to be as effective as clomiphene for PCOS, but the combination of these two agents seems to be more effective than either agent alone for improving ovulation.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
- Hay fever.
- High blood pressure.
- High cholesterol.
- Weight loss or control.
- Chemotherapy support.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.