"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Zydelig (idelalisib) to treat patients with three types of blood cancers.
Zydelig is being granted traditional approval to treat patients whose chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) has retu"...
(vinCRIStine sulfate LIPOSOME) Injection
- For Intravenous Use Only – Fatal if Given by Other Routes [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Death has occurred with intrathecal administration.
- Marqibo (vinCRIStine sulfate LIPOSOME) injection has different dosage recommendations than vinCRIStine sulfate injection. Verify drug name and dose prior to preparation and administration to avoid overdosage.
Marqibo (vinCRIStine sulfate LIPOSOME injection) is vincristine encapsulated in sphingomyelin/cholesterol liposomes for intravenous administration.
The active ingredient in Marqibo is vincristine sulfate. Vincristine sulfate is a vinca alkaloid isolated as a
1:1 sulfate salt from the periwinkle plant (Catharanthus roseus). It is a hygroscopic, white to slightly yellowish crystalline powder that is soluble in water. It has a molecular weight of 923.04 (salt form) / 824.98 (base form) and a molecular formula of C46H56N4O10 • H2SO4. The chemical name for vincristine sulfate is 22-oxovincaleukoblastine and it has the following chemical structure:
Vincristine is encapsulated in a Sphingomyelin/Cholesterol liposome. The lipid components in the liposome are sphingomyelin and cholesterol at a molar ratio of approximately 60:40 (mol:mol).
After preparation, each vial of Marqibo contains 5 mg vincristine sulfate, 500 mg mannitol, 73.5 mg sphingomyelin, 29.5 mg cholesterol, 36 mg sodium citrate, 38 mg citric acid, 355 mg sodium phosphate, and 225 mg sodium chloride.
Marqibo (vinCRIStine sulfate LIPOSOME injection) appears as a white to off-white, translucent suspension, essentially free of visible foreign matter and aggregates, comprised of sphingomyelin/cholesterol liposomes, with an approximate liposome mean diameter of 100 nm. Greater than 95% of the drug is encapsulated in the liposomes.
The Marqibo Kit component vials for the preparation of Marqibo (vinCRIStine sulfate LIPOSOME injection) include:
- VinCRIStine Sulfate Injection, USP (5 mg/5 mL). Each VinCRIStine Sulfate Injection vial consists of 5 mg/5 mL vincristine sulfate (which is equivalent to 4.5 mg/5 mL vincristine free base) and 100 mg/5 mL mannitol.
- Sphingomyelin/Cholesterol Liposome Injection (103 mg/mL). Each Sphingomyelin/Cholesterol Liposome Injection vial consists of 73.5 mg/mL sphingomyelin, 29.5 mg/mL cholesterol, 33.6 mg/mL citric acid, 35.4 mg/mL sodium citrate, and not more than 0.1% ethanol.
- Sodium Phosphate Injection (355 mg/25 mL). Each Sodium Phosphate Injection vial consists of 355 mg/25 mL dibasic sodium phosphate and 225 mg/25 mL sodium chloride.
Last reviewed on RxList: 8/17/2012
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Marqibo Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.