Massage Therapy (cont.)
In this Article
- Introduction to massage therapy
- What is the history of massage therapy?
- What are the health benefits of massage therapy?
- What is massage therapy, and what are the types of massage?
- What do massage therapists do in treating patients?
- How does massage therapy affect the body?
- What are side effects and risks of massage therapy?
- Who provides massage therapy?
- What are some other points to consider about massage therapy as complementary and alternative medicine?
What are some other points to consider about massage therapy as complementary and alternative medicine?
- Do not use massage therapy to replace your regular medical care or as a reason to postpone seeing a health care provider about a medical problem.
- If you have a medical condition and are unsure whether massage therapy would be appropriate for you, discuss your concerns with your health care provider. Your health care provider may also be able to help you select a massage therapist. You might also look for published research articles on massage therapy for your condition.
- Before deciding to begin massage therapy, ask about the therapist's training, experience, and credentials. Also ask about the number of treatments that might be needed, the cost, and insurance coverage.
- If a massage therapist suggests using other CAM practices (for example, herbs or other supplements, or a special diet), discuss it first with your regular health care provider.
- Tell all your health care providers about any complementary and alternative practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will ensure coordinated and safe care.
Medically reviewed by Martin E Zipser, MD; American board of Surgery
Last update: 8/10/2007
National Institutes of Health, National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 4/2/2014
Viewers share their comments
Massage Therapy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with massage therapy.
- Submit »
Massage Therapy - Benefits Question: Please describe your benefits with having massage therapy.
Massage Therapy - Risks and Side Effects Question: What were side effects and risks of your massage therapy?
- Submit »
Find out what women really need.