"Dec. 12, 2012 -- Heavy coffee drinkers -- those who drink more than four cups a day -- may cut their risk of dying from cancers of the mouth and throat by nearly half, according to new research.
"We examined coffee drinking habits in "...
Matulane Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is procarbazine (Matulane)?
- What are the possible side effects of procarbazine (Matulane)?
- What is the most important information I should know about procarbazine (Matulane)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking procarbazine (Matulane)?
- How should I take procarbazine (Matulane)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Matulane)?
- What happens if I overdose (Matulane)?
- What should I avoid while taking procarbazine (Matulane)?
- What other drugs will affect procarbazine (Matulane)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Matulane)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Matulane)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose symptoms may include severe nausea and vomiting, tremors, or seizure (convulsions).
What should I avoid while taking procarbazine (Matulane)?
Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Tell your doctor at once if you develop signs of infection.
Do not receive a "live" vaccine while using procarbazine. The vaccine may not work as well during this time, and may not fully protect you from disease. Live vaccines include measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), oral polio, typhoid, chickenpox (varicella), BCG (Bacillus Calmette and Guérin), and nasal flu vaccine.
While you are taking procarbazine, you should avoid foods that are high in tyramine, including:
- avocados, bananas, figs, raisins, and sauerkraut;
- beef or chicken liver, fish, meats prepared with tenderizer, bologna, pepperoni, salami, summer sausage, game meat, meat extracts, caviar, dried fish, herring, and shrimp paste;
- beer (alcoholic and nonalcoholic), red wine (especially Chianti), sherry, vermouth, and other distilled spirits;
- caffeine (including coffee, tea, cola); and
- cheeses, including American, blue, boursault, brick, brie, camembert, cheddar, emmenthaler, gruyere, mozzarella, parmesan, romano, roquefort, stilton, and Swiss;
- sour cream and yogurt;
- soy sauce, miso soup, bean curd, fava beans; or
- yeast extracts.
Eating tyramine while you are taking procarbazine can raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels, causing life-threatening side effects.
What other drugs will affect procarbazine (Matulane)?
Before taking procarbazine, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, sedatives, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They may increase certain side effects of procarbazine.
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- blood pressure medication;
- an antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil, Vanatrip), doxepin (Sinequan), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Pamelor), and others;
- a barbiturate such as butabarbital (Butisol), secobarbital (Seconal), pentobarbital (Nembutal), or phenobarbital (Solfoton);
- diet pills, stimulants, or ADHD medication such as Adderall or Ritalin; or
- phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Permitil, Prolixin), perphenazine (Trilafon), prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro), promethazine (Pentazine, Phenergan, Anergan, Antinaus), thioridazine (Mellaril), or trifluoperazine (Stelazine).
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with procarbazine. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your doctor or pharmacist can provide more information about procarbazine.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.02. Revision date: 12/15/2010.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Matulane Information
- Matulane Drug Interactions Center: procarbazine oral
- Matulane Side Effects Center
- Matulane Overview including Precautions
- Matulane FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.