"Nov. 1, 2012 -- Having even mildly elevated blood pressure at midlife prematurely ages the brain, a new study shows.
Researchers say the early changes seen with higher blood pressure may set the stage for problems with thinking, memor"...
Mavik Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Mavik
Generic Name: trandolapril (Pronunciation: tran DOE la pril)
- What is trandolapril (Mavik)?
- What are the possible side effects of trandolapril (Mavik)?
- What is the most important information I should know about trandolapril (Mavik)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking trandolapril (Mavik)?
- How should I take trandolapril (Mavik)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Mavik)?
- What happens if I overdose (Mavik)?
- What should I avoid while taking trandolapril (Mavik)?
- What other drugs will affect trandolapril (Mavik)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is trandolapril (Mavik)?
Trandolapril is an ACE inhibitor. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme.
Trandolapril is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension), and to improve survival after a heart attack.
Trandolapril may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Mavik 1 mg
round, pink, imprinted with KNOLL 1
Mavik 2 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with KNOLL 2
Mavik 4 mg
round, pink, imprinted with KNOLL 4
Trandolapril 1 mg-TEV
oval, orange, imprinted with 9 3, 7325
Trandolapril 2 mg-TEV
oval, green, imprinted with 93, 7326
Trandolapril 4 mg-TEV
oval, red, imprinted with 93, 7327
What are the possible side effects of trandolapril (Mavik)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. You may be more likely to have an allergic reaction if you are African-American.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- urinating less than usual, or not at all;
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- chest pain, trouble breathing;
- pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- high potassium (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling); or
- low calcium (numbness or tingly feeling around your mouth, fast or slow heart rate, muscle tightness or contraction, overactive reflexes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat;
- muscle pain;
- dizziness, drowsiness, headache;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- upset stomach, diarrhea, constipation; or
- mild skin itching or rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Mavik (trandolapril) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about trandolapril (Mavik)?
Do not use trandolapril if you are pregnant. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
You should not use trandolapril if you have ever had angioedema, or if you are allergic to trandolapril or similar medicines, such as benazepril (Lotensin), captopril (Capoten), fosinopril (Monopril), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), perindopril (Aceon), quinapril (Accupril), or ramipril (Altace).
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can further lower your blood pressure and may increase some of the side effects of trandolapril.
Do not use salt substitutes or potassium supplements while taking trandolapril, unless your doctor has told you to.
Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink while taking trandolapril. Tell your doctor if you have a prolonged illness that causes diarrhea or vomiting.
Additional Mavik Information
- Mavik Drug Interactions Center: trandolapril oral
- Mavik Side Effects Center
- Mavik Overview including Precautions
- Mavik FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Mavik - User Reviews
Mavik User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.