"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will complete its phase-out of all inhaler medical products containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) by Dec. 31, 2013. This effort is to comply with an international treaty to protect the ozone layer by phasing "...
Maxair Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Maxair Autohaler
Generic Name: pirbuterol inhalation (Pronunciation: peer BYOO ter ole)
- What is pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- What are the possible side effects of pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- How should I use pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Maxair)?
- What happens if I overdose (Maxair)?
- What should I avoid while using pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- What other drugs will affect pirbuterol (Maxair)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
Pirbuterol is a bronchodilator that relaxes muscles in the airways and increases air flow to the lungs.
Pirbuterol inhalation is used to treat or prevent bronchospasm in people with reversible obstructive airway disease. Pirbuterol is sometimes used with another medication such as theophylline (Elixophyllin, Theo-24, Theochron, Uniphyl, and others) or a steroid.
Pirbuterol inhalation may also be used for conditions not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- bronchospasm (wheezing, chest tightness, trouble breathing), especially after starting a new canister of this medicine;
- chest pain and fast, pounding, or uneven heart beats;
- tremor, nervousness;
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling); or
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- cough, hoarseness, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose;
- mild nausea, vomiting;
- dry mouth and throat;
- muscle pain; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Maxair (pirbuterol) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to pirbuterol.
Before using pirbuterol, tell your doctor if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, a heart rhythm disorder, a seizure disorder, diabetes, or overactive thyroid.
It is important to keep this medication on hand at all times. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely. Keep using all of your other medications as prescribed by your doctor.
Use only the prescribed dose of this medicine and follow all patient instructions for safe use. Talk with your doctor about your individual risks and benefits of using pirbuterol.
Talk with your doctor if any of your asthma medications do not seem to work as well in treating or preventing attacks. If it seems like you need to use more of any of your medications in a 24-hour period, talk with your doctor. An increased need for medication could be an early sign of a serious asthma attack.
Additional Maxair Information
- Maxair Drug Interactions Center: pirbuterol inhl
- Maxair Side Effects Center
- Maxair FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.