"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will complete its phase-out of all inhaler medical products containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) by Dec. 31, 2013. This effort is to comply with an international treaty to protect the ozone layer by phasing "...
- Clinician Information:
Maxair Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Maxair, Maxair Autohaler
Generic Name: pirbuterol inhaler (Pronunciation: peer BYOO ter ole)
- What is pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- What are the possible side effects of pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- Who should not use pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- How should I use pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Maxair)?
- What happens if I overdose (Maxair)?
- What should I avoid while using pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
- What other drugs will affect pirbuterol (Maxair)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
Pirbuterol is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing.
Pirbuterol inhalation is used to treat conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema.
Pirbuterol inhalation may also be used for conditions other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
Stop using pirbuterol and seek emergency medical attention if you experience any of the following serious side effects:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives); or
- chest pain or irregular heartbeats.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to use pirbuterol inhalation and talk to your doctor if you experience
- headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, or insomnia;
- tremor or nervousness;
- nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; or
- dry mouth.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Maxair (pirbuterol) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about pirbuterol inhalation (Maxair)?
It is very important that you use your pirbuterol inhaler properly, so that the medicine gets into your lungs. Your doctor may want you to use a spacer with your inhaler. Talk to your doctor about proper inhaler use.
Seek medical attention if you notice that you require more than your usual or more than the maximum amount of any asthma medication in a 24-hour period. An increased need for medication could be an early sign of a serious asthma attack.
Additional Maxair Information
- Maxair Drug Interactions Center: pirbuterol inhl
- Maxair Side Effects Center
- Maxair FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.