"Jan. 15, 2013 -- Women who have migraine with aura may have a higher risk of heart attacks, and they may face a higher risk of dangerous blood clots if they use certain hormonal contraceptives.
Those are the findings from two newly pu"...
Maxalt Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What are the possible side effects of rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What is the most important information I should know about rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- How should I use rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Maxalt)?
- What happens if I overdose (Maxalt)?
- What should I avoid while using rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What other drugs will affect rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Maxalt)?
Since rizatriptan is used as needed, it does not have a daily dosing schedule. Call your doctor promptly if your symptoms do not improve after using rizatriptan.
After taking a rizatriptan tablet, you must wait two (2) hours before taking a second tablet. Do not take more than 30 mg of rizatriptan in 24 hours.
What happens if I overdose (Maxalt)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose could cause high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, or seizure).
What should I avoid while using rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
Do not take rizatriptan within 24 hours before or after using another migraine headache medicine, including:
- almotriptan (Axert), eletriptan (Relpax), frovatriptan (Frova), naratriptan (Amerge), sumatriptan (Imitrex, Treximet), or zolmitriptan (Zomig); or
- ergot medicine such as ergotamine (Ergomar, Cafergot, Migergot), dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45, Migranal), or methylergonovine (Methergine).
Rizatriptan may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
What other drugs will affect rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- propranolol (Inderal, InnoPran); or
- an antidepressant such as citalopram (Celexa), duloxetine (Cymbalta), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra, Symbyax), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva), sertraline (Zoloft), trazodone (Desyrel, Oleptro), venlafaxine (Effexor), or vilazodone (Viibryd).
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with rizatriptan. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about rizatriptan.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 10.01. Revision date: 1/16/2012.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Maxalt Information
- Maxalt Drug Interactions Center: rizatriptan oral
- Maxalt Side Effects Center
- Maxalt Overview including Precautions
- Maxalt FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Maxalt - User Reviews
Maxalt User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find the secrets to longer life.