"Researchers may have uncovered a mechanism behind nitrate-based triggers in migraine. They found that compared with people who don't experience migraines, those who do have significantly more nitrate, nitrite, and nitric oxide reductase genes in "...
Maxalt Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT
Generic Name: rizatriptan (Pronunciation: RYE za TRIP tan)
- What is rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What are the possible side effects of rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What is the most important information I should know about rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- How should I use rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Maxalt)?
- What happens if I overdose (Maxalt)?
- What should I avoid while using rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- What other drugs will affect rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
Rizatriptan is a headache medicine that narrows the blood vessels around the brain. Rizatriptan also reduces substances in the body that can trigger headache pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and other migraine symptoms.
Rizatriptan is used to treat migraine headaches. Rizatriptan will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
Rizatriptan should not be used to treat a common tension headache, a headache that causes loss of movement on one side of your body, or any headache that seems to be different from your usual migraine headaches. Use this medication only if your condition has been confirmed by a doctor as migraine headaches.
Rizatriptan may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Maxalt 10 mg
oblong, peach, imprinted with MAXALT, MRK267
Maxalt 5 mg
oblong, pink, imprinted with 266, MRK
Maxalt MLT 10 mg
round, white, peppermint, imprinted with LOGO
Maxalt MLT 5 mg
round, white, peppermint, imprinted with LOGO
What are the possible side effects of rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using rizatriptan and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling of pain or tightness in your jaw, neck, or throat;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden severe headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- sudden and severe stomach pain and bloody diarrhea;
- numbness or tingling and a pale or blue-colored appearance in your fingers or toes; or
- (if you are also taking an antidepressant) -- agitation, hallucinations, fever, fast heart rate, overactive reflexes, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, fainting.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild headache (not a migraine);
- dry mouth, mild nausea;
- pressure or heavy feeling in any part of your body;
- dizziness, drowsiness, tired feeling; or
- warmth, redness, or mild tingling under your skin.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Maxalt (rizatriptan benzoate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about rizatriptan (Maxalt)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to rizatriptan, if you have any history of heart disease, or if you have coronary heart disease, angina, blood circulation problems, lack of blood supply to the heart, uncontrolled high blood pressure, ischemic bowel disease, a history of a heart attack or stroke, or if your headache seems to be different from your usual migraine headaches.
Do not take rizatriptan within 24 hours before or after using another migraine headache medicine, including almotriptan (Axert), eletriptan (Relpax), frovatriptan (Frova), naratriptan (Amerge), sumatriptan (Imitrex, Treximet), zolmitriptan (Zomig), or ergot medicine such as ergotamine (Ergomar, Cafergot, Migergot), dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45, Migranal), or methylergonovine (Methergine).
Do not use rizatriptan if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as furazolidone (Furoxone), isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the past 14 days.
Before taking rizatriptan, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, high blood pressure, a heart rhythm disorder, or coronary heart disease (or risk factors such as diabetes, menopause, smoking, being overweight, having high cholesterol, having a family history of coronary artery disease, being older than 40 and a man, or being a woman who has had a hysterectomy).
Also tell your doctor if you are also taking an antidepressant such as citalopram (Celexa), duloxetine (Cymbalta), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, Symbyax), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva), sertraline (Zoloft), trazodone (Desyrel, Oleptro), venlafaxine (Effexor), or vilazodone (Viibryd).
Rizatriptan will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
After taking a rizatriptan tablet, you must wait two (2) hours before taking a second tablet. Do not take more than 30 mg of rizatriptan in 24 hours.
Additional Maxalt Information
- Maxalt Drug Interactions Center: rizatriptan oral
- Maxalt Side Effects Center
- Maxalt Overview including Precautions
- Maxalt FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Maxalt - User Reviews
Maxalt User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find the secrets to longer life.