"About 1 out of 10 people has had a seizure. Do you know what to do if someone has a seizure near you? Read below to learn more.
About 1 out of 10 people has had a seizure. That means seizures are common, and one day you might need to help s"...
Mebaral Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Mebaral
Generic Name: mephobarbital (Pronunciation: MEF oh BAR bi tal)
- What is mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
- What are the possible side effects of mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
- What is the most important information I should know about mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
- How should I take mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Mebaral)?
- What happens if I overdose (Mebaral)?
- What should I avoid while taking mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
- What other drugs will affect mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
Mephobarbital is in a group of drugs called barbiturates (bar-BIT-chur-ates). Mephobarbital slows the activity of your brain and nervous system.
Mephobarbital is used as a sedative to treat anxiety, tension, and apprehension (dreading or feeling uneasy about what you think may happen). Mephobarbital is also used to treat seizures.
Mephobarbital may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Mebaral 100 mg
round, white, imprinted with M 33
Mebaral 32 mg
round, white, imprinted with M, 31
Mebaral 50 mg
round, white, imprinted with M, 32
Mephobarbital 100 mg-BRE
round, white, imprinted with B 418
Mephobarbital 50 mg-BRE
round, white, imprinted with B 417
What are the possible side effects of mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- confusion, hallucinations;
- slow heart rate; or
- feeling like you might pass out.
Less serious side effects may include:
- memory or thinking problems;
- feeling nervous or agitated;
- nausea, vomiting; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Mebaral (mephobarbital) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about mephobarbital (Mebaral)?
Do not take this medication if you are allergic to mephobarbital or to other barbiturates such as amobarbital (Amytal), butabarbital (Butisol), secobarbital (Seconal), or phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton).
Before taking mephobarbital, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, anemia, heart disease, asthma or other breathing disorder, or a history of depression, mental illness, suicide attempt, or drug/alcohol addiction.
Mephobarbital can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking mephobarbital.
Mephobarbital may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Mephobarbital should never be shared with another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Additional Mebaral Information
- Mebaral Drug Interactions Center: mephobarbital oral
- Mebaral Side Effects Center
- Mebaral Overview including Precautions
- Mebaral FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Mebaral - User Reviews
Mebaral User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find tips and treatments to control seizures.