"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the first rapid Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) test for the simultaneous detection of HIV-1 p24 antigen as well as antibodies to both HIV-1 and HIV-2 in human serum, plasma, and venous or f"...
Megace Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is megestrol (Megace)?
- What are the possible side effects of megestrol (Megace)?
- What is the most important information I should know about megestrol (Megace)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking megestrol (Megace)?
- How should I take megestrol (Megace)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Megace)?
- What happens if I overdose (Megace)?
- What should I avoid while taking megestrol (Megace)?
- What other drugs will affect megestrol (Megace)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking megestrol (Megace)?
You should not use megestrol if you are allergic to it, or if you are pregnant.
To make sure you can safely take megestrol, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- diabetes; or
- a history of stroke or blood clot.
FDA pregnancy category X. This medication can harm an unborn baby or cause birth defects. Do not use megestrol if you are pregnant. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant during treatment. Use effective birth control while you are using this medication.
It is not known whether megestrol passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while taking megestrol.
How should I take megestrol (Megace)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Shake the oral suspension (liquid) well just before you measure a dose. Measure the liquid with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup, not with a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.
Megace ES contains a higher concentration of megestrol than Megace. If your doctor changes your brand, strength, or type of megestrol, your dosage needs may change. Ask your pharmacist if you have any questions about the medicine you receive at the pharmacy.
Your dosage needs may change if you have surgery, are ill, are under stress, or have an infection. Do not change your medication dose or schedule without your doctor's advice.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Megace Information
- Megace Drug Interactions Center: megestrol oral
- Megace Side Effects Center
- Megace FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.