July 23, 2016
Table of Contents
- Menopause facts
- What is menopause?
- At what age does a woman typically reach menopause?
- What conditions can affect the timing of menopause?
- What are the symptoms of menopause?
- What are the symptoms of menopause? (continued)
- What are the complications and effects of menopause on chronic medical conditions?
- Are hormone levels or other blood tests helpful in detecting menopause?
- What are the treatment options for menopause?
- Hormone therapy for menopause
- Hormone therapy for menopause (continued)
- Other pharmaceutical therapies for menopause
- Alternative medical therapies for menopause
- Alternative medical therapies for menopause (continued)
- Non-pharmaceutical therapies for menopause symptoms
- Lifestyle factors in controlling the symptoms and complications of menopause
- Menopause is defined as the absence of menstrual periods for 12 months. It is the time in a woman's life when the function of the ovaries ceases.
- The process of menopause does not occur overnight, but rather is a gradual process. This so-called perimenopausal transition period is a different experience for each woman.
- The average age of menopause is 51 years old, but menopause may occur as early as the 30s or as late as the 60s. There is no reliable lab test to predict when a woman will experience menopause.
- The age at which a woman starts having menstrual periods is not related to the age of menopause onset.
- Symptoms of menopause can include abnormal vaginal bleeding, hot flashes, vaginal and urinary symptoms, and mood changes.
- Complications that women may develop after menopause include osteoporosis and heart disease.
- Treatments for menopause are customized for each woman.
- Treatments are directed toward alleviating uncomfortable or distressing symptoms. Continue Reading
1/13Reviewed on 9/25/2015
Next: What is menopause?
Menopause Related Articles
- Actonel with Calcium
- Climara Pro
- Depo Provera
- Fosamax Plus D
- Premarin Injection
- Premarin Vaginal Cream
Women's Health Resources
- 10 Ways to Reduce Bloating, Fatigue, and Stress
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Headaches and Your Hormones