March 1, 2017
Table of Contents
- Menopause definition and facts
- What is menopause?
- At what age does a woman typically reach menopause?
- What are the signs and symptoms of menopause?
- What are other signs and symptoms of menopause?
- What conditions can cause early menopause?
- What tests diagnose menopause?
- What are the treatment options for menopause?
- Hormone treatment and therapy for menopause
- Oral contraceptives and vaginal treatments for menopause
- Antidepressants and other medications for menopause
- Home remedies: Plant estrogenes for menopause
- Home remedies: vitamin E, black cohosh, and herbs for menopause
- Vaginal lubricants for menopause symptoms
- Lifestyle factors in controlling the symptoms and complications of menopause
- What are the complications and effects of menopause on chronic medical conditions?
Menopause definition and facts
- Menopause is defined as the absence of menstrual periods for 12 months. It is the time in a woman's life when the function of the ovaries ceases.
- The process of menopause does not occur overnight, but rather is a gradual process. This so-called perimenopausal transition period is a different experience for each woman.
- The average age of menopause is 51 years old, but menopause may occur as early as the 30s or as late as the 60s. There is no reliable lab test to predict when a woman will experience menopause.
- The age at which a woman starts having menstrual periods is not related to the age of menopause onset.
- Symptoms of menopause can include abnormal vaginal bleeding, hot flashes, vaginal and urinary symptoms, and mood changes.
- Complications that women may develop after menopause include osteoporosis and heart disease.
- Treatments for menopause are customized for each woman.
- Treatments are directed toward alleviating uncomfortable or distressing symptoms.
1/12Reviewed on 10/6/2016
Next: What is menopause?
Menopause Related Articles
- Actonel with Calcium
- Climara Pro
- Depo Provera
- Fosamax Plus D
- Premarin Injection
- Premarin Vaginal Cream
Women's Health Resources
- Menopause and Urinary Tract Infections
- Feeling Your Best With Breast Cancer
- 5 Lifesaving Tests Every Woman Needs