Mental Illness (cont.)
In this Article
- What causes mental illness?
- Can mental illness be prevented?
- How common is mental illness?
- How is mental illness treated?
- What is the prognosis for people with mental illness?
- Find a local Psychiatrist in your town
What Is the Outlook for People with Mental Illness?
When diagnosed early and treated properly, many people fully recover from their mental illness or are able to successfully control their symptoms. Although some people become disabled because of a chronic or severe mental illness, many others are able to live full and productive lives. In fact, as many as 8 in 10 people suffering from a mental illness can effectively return to their normal activities if they receive appropriate treatment.
WebMD Medical Reference
SOURCE: National Institute of Mental Health web site: Mental illness statistics.
Reviewed by Joseph Goldberg, MD on February 14, 2012
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2012
Get tips on therapy and treatment.