"U.S. Marshals, acting on behalf of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, today seized tainted dietary supplements from Globe All Wellness, LLC (Globe All), in Hollywood, Fla. The products may be unsafe because they contain an undisclosed active "...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
There is limited experience of overdose with sibutramine. The most frequently noted adverse events associated with overdose are tachycardia, hypertension, headache and dizziness. Tre atment should consist of general measures employed in the management of overdosage: an airway should be established as needed; cardiac and vital sign monitoring is recommended; general symptomatic and supportive measures should be instituted. Cautious use of β-blockers may be indicated to control elevated blood pressure or tachycardia. The results from a study in patients with end-stage renal disease on dialysis showed that sibutramine metabolites were not eliminated to a significant degree with hemodialysis. (see Pharmacokinetics - Special Populations - Renal Insufficiency).
MERIDIA (sibutramine hydrochloride monohydrate) is contraindicated in patients:
- with a history of coronary artery disease (e.g., angina, history of myocardial infarction), congestive heart failure, tachycardia, peripheral arterial occlusive disease, arrhythmia or cerebrovascular disease (stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)) (see WARNINGS).
- with inadequately controlled hypertension > 145/90 mm Hg (see WARNINGS).
- over 65 years of age.
- receiving monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (see WARNINGS).
- with hypersensitivity to sibutramine or any of the inactive ingredients of MERIDIA (sibutramine hydrochloride monohydrate) .
- who have a major eating disorder (anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa).
- taking other centrally acting weight loss drugs.
Last reviewed on RxList: 1/31/2011
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Meridia Information
Meridia - User Reviews
Meridia User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.