"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Clinolipid (lipid injectable emulsion, USP) for intravenous feeding (parenteral nutrition) in adult patients, providing a source of calories and essential fatty acids for adult patients who are"...
Mestinon Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Mestinon, Mestinon Timespan
Generic Name: pyridostigmine (Pronunciation: py rid o STIG meen)
- What is pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
- What are the possible side effects of pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
- How should I take pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Mestinon)?
- What happens if I overdose (Mestinon)?
- What should I avoid while taking pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
- What other drugs will affect pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
Pyridostigmine affects chemicals in the body that are involved in the communication between nerve impulses and muscle movement.
Pyridostigmine is used to treat the symptoms of myasthenia gravis. It is also used in military personnel who have been exposed to nerve gas.
Pyridostigmine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Pyridostigmine 60 mg-BAR
round, blue, imprinted with b133
Pyridostigmine 60 mg-GLO
round, white, imprinted with G 3511
What are the possible side effects of pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using pyridostigmine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- extreme muscle weakness, muscle twicthing;
- slurred speech, vision problems;
- severe vomiting or diarrhea;
- cough with mucus;
- confusion, anxiety, panic attacks;
- seizure (convulsions); or
- worsening or no improvement in your symptoms of myasthenia gravis.
Less serious side effects may include:
- cold sweat, pale skin;
- urinating more than usual;
- watery eyes;
- mild nausea, vomiting, or upset stomach;
- warmth or tingly feeling; or
- mild rash or itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Mestinon (pyridostigmine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about pyridostigmine (Mestinon)?
You should not use pyridostigmine if you are allergic to it, or if you have a bladder or bowel obstruction.
Before taking pyridostigmine, tell your doctor if you have asthma, kidney disease, an ulcer or other serious stomach disorder, high blood pressure, heart disease, overactive thyroid, or a history of seizures.
The amount and timing of this medicine is extremely important to the success of your treatment. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about how much medicine to take and when to take it.
This medication may cause blurred vision or impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert and able to see clearly.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. You may be asked to keep a daily record of when you took each dose and how long the effects lasted. This will help your doctor determine if your dose needs to be adjusted.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using pyridostigmine. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
Additional Mestinon Information
Mestinon - User Reviews
Mestinon User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.