"Young children have died or become seriously ill from accidental exposure to a skin patch containing fentanyl, a powerful pain reliever. As a result of this, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is issuing a Drug Safety Communication to warn pa"...
- Clinician Information:
Methadone Hydrochloride Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Diskets, Dolophine, Methadose
Generic Name: methadone (Pronunciation: METH a done)
- What is methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
- What are the possible side effects of methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
- What is the most important information I should know about methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
- How should I use methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
- What happens if I overdose (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
- What should I avoid while using methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
- What other drugs will affect methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
Methadone is a narcotic pain reliever, similar to morphine. Methadone also reduces withdrawal symptoms in people addicted to heroin or other narcotic drugs without causing the "high" associated with the drug addiction.
Methadone is used as a pain reliever and as part of drug addiction detoxification and maintenance programs.
Methadone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Dolophine 5 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 162
Methadone 10 mg-MAL
round, white, imprinted with METHADOSE 10
Methadone 10 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 142
Methadone 5 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 210
Methadose 5 mg
round, white, imprinted with METHADOSE 5
What are the possible side effects of methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- shallow breathing;
- hallucinations or confusion;
- chest pain, dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeat; or
- trouble breathing, feeling light-headed, or fainting.
Less serious side effects may include:
- feeling anxious, nervous, or restless;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- feeling weak or drowsy;
- dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite; or
- decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Methadone Hydrochloride (methadone) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about methadone (Methadone Hydrochloride)?
Like other narcotic medicines, methadone can slow your breathing, even long after the pain-relieving effects of the medication wear off. Death may occur if breathing becomes too weak. Never use more methadone than your doctor has prescribed. Call your doctor if you think the medicine is not working.
Do not stop using methadone suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Call your doctor if you miss doses or forget to take this medication for longer than 3 days in a row.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Additional Methadone Hydrochloride Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.