"Many pregnant women take prescription medicines for health problems like diabetes, asthma, seizures, heartburn, and morning sickness. Other women take medicines before they realize they are pregnant.
Not all medicines are safe t"...
Methergine Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Methergine
Generic Name: methylergonovine (Pronunciation: meth il er GON o veen)
- What is methylergonovine (Methergine)?
- What are the possible side effects of methylergonovine (Methergine)?
- What is the most important information I should know about methylergonovine (Methergine)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking methylergonovine (Methergine)?
- How should I take methylergonovine (Methergine)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Methergine)?
- What happens if I overdose (Methergine)?
- What should I avoid while receiving methylergonovine (Methergine)?
- What other drugs will affect methylergonovine (Methergine)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is methylergonovine (Methergine)?
Methylergonovine is in a group of drugs called ergot alkaloids. It affects the smooth muscle of a woman's uterus, improving the muscle tone as well as the strength and timing of uterine contractions.
Methylergonovine is used just after a baby is born, to help deliver the placenta (also called the "afterbirth"). It is also used to help control bleeding and other uterine problems after childbirth.
Methylergonovine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Methergine 0.2 mg
round, pink, imprinted with SANDOZ, 78-54
What are the possible side effects of methylergonovine (Methergine)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- increased blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision);
- seizure (convulsions);
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- pounding heartbeat;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling; or
Other less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- leg cramps;
- ringing in your ears;
- stuffy nose; or
- unpleasant taste in your mouth.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Methergine (methylergonovine maleate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about methylergonovine (Methergine)?
This medication is to be used only after delivery of your baby.
Methylergonovine may pass into breast milk in small amounts and could affect a nursing baby. In some cases, you will need to use this medication for up to 1 week after your baby is born. Talk with your doctor about whether you should breast-feed during that time. You may need to use a breast pump to establish and maintain your milk flow until your methylergonovine treatment is finished.
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. Symptoms of a methylergonovine overdose may include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, numbness or tingling, muscle twitching, feeling light-headed, fainting, shallow breathing, coldness, or seizure (convulsions).
There may be other drugs that can affect methylergonovine. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with methylergonovine. The interaction could lead to potentially dangerous effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit products in your diet without first talking to your doctor.
Additional Methergine Information
- Methergine Drug Interactions Center: methylergonovine oral
- Methergine Side Effects Center
- Methergine Overview including Precautions
- Methergine FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Methergine - User Reviews
Methergine User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.