"Feb. 20, 2013 -- More American women are aware of their risk for heart disease than ever before, but huge gaps in knowledge still remain.
A new survey shows that the number of women who know that heart disease is their leading cause o"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Mexitil Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Mexitil
Generic Name: mexiletine (Pronunciation: mex IL e teen)
- What is mexiletine (Mexitil)?
- What are the possible side effects of mexiletine (Mexitil)?
- What is the most important information I should know about mexiletine (Mexitil)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking mexiletine (Mexitil)?
- How should I take mexiletine (Mexitil)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Mexitil)?
- What happens if I overdose (Mexitil)?
- What should I avoid while taking mexiletine (Mexitil)?
- What other drugs will affect mexiletine (Mexitil)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is mexiletine (Mexitil)?
Mexiletine affects the way that your heart beats.
Mexiletine is used to treat seriously irregular heartbeats.
Mexiletine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Mexiletine 150 mg-TEV
brown/orange, imprinted with N 739, 150
Mexiletine 200 mg-TEV
orange, imprinted with N 740, 200
Mexiletine 250 mg-TEV
blue/orange, imprinted with N 741, 250
What are the possible side effects of mexiletine (Mexitil)?
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking mexiletine and seek emergency medical attention:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- a new or a worsening irregular heartbeat pattern;
- wheezing, coughing, chest pain, or chest discomfort;
- unusual bruising or bleeding; or
- fever, sore throat, a sore mouth, mouth ulcers, or an infection.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take mexiletine and talk to your doctor if you experience
- dizziness, lightheadedness, or tiredness;
- poor coordination;
- dry mouth;
- upset stomach, heartburn, vomiting, or decreased appetite;
- diarrhea or constipation;
- headache or blurred vision;
- numbness, tingling, or tremor (shaking);
- ringing in your ears;
- a rash; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Mexitil (mexiletine hcl) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about mexiletine (Mexitil)?
Do not skip doses, change your dosing schedule, or stop taking mexiletine without talking to your doctor. Changing your schedule could make your condition much worse.
Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Mexiletine may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. If you experience dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision, avoid these activities.
Additional Mexitil Information
- Mexitil Drug Interactions Center: mexiletine oral
- Mexitil Side Effects Center
- Mexitil Overview including Precautions
- Mexitil FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Mexitil - User Reviews
Mexitil User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.