"Dec. 14, 2012 -- Drinking a glass of beet juice may have an immediate impact on lowering blood pressure, according to a new study.
The study shows that within hours of drinking it, beet juice lowered systolic blood pressure (the top n"...
Micardis Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Micardis
Generic Name: telmisartan (Pronunciation: TEL mi SAR tan)
- What is telmisartan (Micardis)?
- What are the possible side effects of telmisartan (Micardis)?
- What is the most important information I should know about telmisartan (Micardis)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking telmisartan (Micardis)?
- How should I take telmisartan (Micardis)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Micardis)?
- What happens if I overdose (Micardis)?
- What should I avoid while taking telmisartan (Micardis)?
- What other drugs will affect telmisartan (Micardis)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is telmisartan (Micardis)?
Telmisartan is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist. Telmisartan keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow.
Telmisartan is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). It is sometimes given together with other blood pressure medications.
Telmisartan is also used to reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack, or death from heart problems in people who are at least 55 years old with risk factors for serious heart disorders.
Telmisartan may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Micardis 40 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with 51H 51H, LOGO
Micardis 80 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with 52H 52H, LOGO
What are the possible side effects of telmisartan (Micardis)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
In rare cases, telmisartan can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, nausea or vomiting, and dark colored urine.
Call your doctor at once if you have any other serious side effects, such as:
- feeling like you might pass out;
- painful or difficult urination;
- chest pain;
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling in your hands or feet; or
- high potassium (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling).
Less serious side effects may include:
- stuffy nose, sinus pain, cough;
- back pain;
- stomach pain, diarrhea;
- headache, dizziness;
- tired feeling;
- weakness; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Micardis (telmisartan) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about telmisartan (Micardis)?
Do not use telmisartan if you are pregnant. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to telmisartan.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can lower your blood pressure and may increase some of the side effects of telmisartan.
Do not use potassium supplements or salt substitutes while you are taking telmisartan, unless your doctor has told you to.
Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Visit your doctor regularly.
If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
In rare cases, telmisartan can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Additional Micardis Information
- Micardis Drug Interactions Center: telmisartan oral
- Micardis Side Effects Center
- Micardis Overview including Precautions
- Micardis FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Micardis - User Reviews
Micardis User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.