"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Vimizim (elosulfase alfa), the first FDA-approved treatment for Mucopolysaccharidosis Type IVA (Morquio A syndrome). Morquio A syndrome is a rare, autosomal recessive lysosomal storage disease "...
- Clinician Information:
Minocin Capsules Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Dynacin, Minocin, Minocin PAC, Myrac, Solodyn
Generic Name: minocycline (Pronunciation: mye no SYE kleen)
- What is minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
- How should I take minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Minocin Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Minocin Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while taking minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
Minocycline is a tetracycline antibiotic that fights bacteria in the body.
Minocycline is used to treat many different bacterial infections, such as urinary tract infections, respiratory infections, skin infections, severe acne, gonorrhea, tick fever, chlamydia, and others.
Minocycline may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Dynacin 100 mg
gray/white, imprinted with 0498, DYNACIN 100 mg
Dynacin 50 mg-PAR
oblong, white, imprinted with par, 511
Dynacin 75 mg
gray, imprinted with DYNACIN 75MG, 0499
Minocin Pellets 100 mg
dark green/light green, imprinted with Lederle M46, Lederle 100 mg
Minocycline 100 mg Pellet-ESI
green/yellow, imprinted with 59911 5870
Minocycline 100 mg-TEV
maroon/pink, imprinted with TEVA, 3167
Minocycline 100 mg-WAT
gray/yellow, imprinted with MINOCYCLINE 100, DAN 5695
Minocycline 50 mg Pellet-ESI
yellow, imprinted with 59911 5869
Minocycline 50 mg-TEV
pink, imprinted with TEVA, 3165
Minocycline 50 mg-WAT
yellow, imprinted with MINOCYCLINE 50 mg, DAN 5694
Minocycline 75 mg-TEV
gray/white, imprinted with 93 7300
Minocycline 75 mg-WAT
white/yellow, imprinted with WPI, MINOCYCLINE 75
Myrac 100 mg
oblong, yellow, imprinted with STIEFEL, 7340
Myrac 50 mg
oblong, yellow, imprinted with STIEFEL, 7338
Myrac 75 mg
oblong, yellow, imprinted with STIEFEL, 7339
Vectrin 100 mg
green, imprinted with VECTRIN 100 mg
What are the possible side effects of minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- stomach cramps, diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
- pale or yellowed skin, weakness, dark colored urine, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- fever, skin rash, bruising, severe tingling or numbness, muscle weakness,
- upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- chest pain, irregular heart rhythm, cough, wheezing, feeling short of breath;
- confusion, vomiting, swelling, weight gain, urinating less than usual or not at all;
- headache or pain behind your eyes, ringing in your ears, vision problems;
- joint pain or swelling with fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, general ill feeling, unusual thoughts or behavior, and/or seizure (convulsions); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, tired feeling, spinning sensation;
- joint or muscle pain;
- discoloration of you skin or nails;
- mild nausea, mild diarrhea, upset stomach;
- mild skin rash or itching;
- swollen tongue, discoloration of your gums; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Minocin Capsules (minocycline) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about minocycline (Minocin Capsules)?
Minocycline can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while using minocycline.
Minocycline passes into breast milk and may affect bone and tooth development in a nursing baby. Do not take this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Children should not take minocycline. Minocycline can cause permanent yellowing or graying of the teeth in children younger than 8 years old.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Minocycline can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
Do not take iron supplements, multivitamins, calcium supplements, antacids, or laxatives within 2 hours before or after taking minocycline. These products can make minocycline less effective.
Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antibiotics.
Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date on the label has passed. Using expired minocycline can cause damage to your kidneys.
Additional Minocin Capsules Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.