- Mitochondrial myopathies facts*
- What are mitochondrial myopathies?
- What are the symptoms of mitochondrial myopathies?
- Is there any treatment for mitochondrial disease?
- What is the prognosis for mitochondrial disease?
- What research is being done for mitochondrial disease?
- Patient Comments: Mitochondrial Disease - Symptoms
Mitochondrial myopathies facts*
*Mitochondiral myopathies facts medical author: Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD
- Mitochondrial disease includes a group of neuromuscular diseases caused by damage to intracellular structures that produce energy, the mitochondria; disease symptoms usually involve muscle contractions that are weak or spontaneous.
- There is no specific treatment for mitochondrial diseases (myopathies).
- The prognosis varies according to the disease type; in general, these diseases are progressive and can cause death.
- Research into treatments and other disease aspects is ongoing; there are several organizations devoted to understanding and treating these relatively rare disorders.
Reviewed on 12/16/2011
Viewers share their comments
Mitochondrial Disease - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have of mitochondrial disease?
Mitochondrial Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have you received for mitochondrial disease?
- Submit »
Mitochondrial Disease - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your mitochondrial disease?
- Submit »
Find out what women really need.