"Dec. 18, 2012 -- People who can't get their high blood pressure down with drugs may be helped by a new procedure that deactivates overactive nerves in the kidneys, a small study shows.
The procedure is already available in Europe and "...
Moduretic Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Moduretic 5-50
Generic Name: hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Pronunciation: hy dro klor oh THI a zide and a MIL o ride)
- What is hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
- How should I take hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Moduretic)?
- What happens if I overdose (Moduretic)?
- What should I avoid while taking hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
- What other drugs will affect hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic (water pill) that helps prevent your body from absorbing too much salt, which can cause fluid retention.
Amiloride is a potassium sparing-diuretic that also prevents your body from absorbing too much salt and keeps your potassium levels from getting too low.
The combination of hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride is used to treat fluid retention (edema) and high blood pressure (hypertension).
Hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
diamond, peach, imprinted with WPPh, 162
round, orange, imprinted with M 577
round, yellow, imprinted with barr, 555 483
diamond, peach, imprinted with M, MSD 917
What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- eye pain, vision problems;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- muscle pain or weakness;
- slow, fast, or uneven heartbeat;
- feeling drowsy, restless, or light-headed;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- dry mouth, increased thirst, tiredness, nausea, vomiting;
- shallow breathing;
- tremors, confusion; or
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea or vomiting;
- gas, stomach pain; or
- skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Moduretic (amiloride and hydrochlorothiazide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride (Moduretic)?
You should not use this medication if you have kidney disease, urination problems, diabetes, or high levels of potassium in your blood. Do not use potassium supplements while you are taking hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have heart disease, cirrhosis or other liver disease, glaucoma, a breathing disorder, gout, lupus, an allergy to sulfa drugs or penicillin, or a pancreas disorder. Tell your doctor if you use steroids or other blood pressure medicines.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride.
Do not use salt substitutes or low-sodium milk products that contain potassium. These products could cause your potassium levels to get too high while you are taking hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride.
There are many other drugs that can interact with hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink. In some cases, drinking too much liquid can be as unsafe as not drinking enough.
Additional Moduretic Information
Moduretic - User Reviews
Moduretic User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.