"The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services today launched an annual challenge designed to identify and honor clinicians and health care teams that have helped their patients control high blood pressure and prevent heart attacks and strokes."...
Monopril Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Monopril
Generic Name: fosinopril (Pronunciation: foe SIN oh pril)
- What is fosinopril (Monopril)?
- What are the possible side effects of fosinopril (Monopril)?
- What is the most important information I should know about fosinopril (Monopril)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking fosinopril (Monopril)?
- How should I take fosinopril (Monopril)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Monopril)?
- What happens if I overdose (Monopril)?
- What should I avoid while taking fosinopril (Monopril)?
- What other drugs will affect fosinopril (Monopril)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is fosinopril (Monopril)?
Fosinopril is in a group of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme.
Fosinopril is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or heart failure.
Fosinopril may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Fosinopril 10 mg-APO
peanut, white, imprinted with APO, FOS-10
Fosinopril 10 mg-GG
diamond, white, imprinted with 10, 2737
Fosinopril 10 mg-TEV
rectangular, white, imprinted with 9 3, 72 22
Fosinopril 20 mg-APO
oval, white, imprinted with APO, FOS-20
Fosinopril 20 mg-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 93, 7223
Fosinopril 40 mg-APO
round, white, imprinted with APO, FOS 40
Fosinopril 40 mg-EON
round, white, imprinted with E 47
Fosinopril 40 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93, 7224
Monopril 10 mg
diamond, white, imprinted with BMS, MONOPRIL 10
Monopril 20 mg
oval, white, imprinted with BMS, MONOPRIL 20
Monopril 40 mg
hexagonal, white, imprinted with BMS, MONOPRIL 40
What are the possible side effects of fosinopril (Monopril)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; severe stomach pain; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- urinating less than usual, or not at all;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- pounding or uneven heartbeats;
- slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- chest pain; or
- swelling, rapid weight gain.
Less serious side effects may include:
- muscle or joint pain;
- dizziness, headache, tired feeling;
- runny or stuffy nose;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea; or
- mild skin itching or rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Monopril (fosinopril sodium) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about fosinopril (Monopril)?
Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Fosinopril could cause birth defects in the baby if you take the medication during pregnancy. Use an effective form of birth control. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant during treatment.
Avoid taking an antacid within 2 hours before or after you take fosinopril.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can further lower your blood pressure and may increase some of the side effects of fosinopril.
Do not use salt substitutes or potassium supplements while taking fosinopril, unless your doctor has told you to.
Vomiting, diarrhea, or heavy sweating can cause you to become dehydrated. This can lead to very low blood pressure, electrolyte disorders, or kidney failure while you are taking fosinopril. Drink plenty of water daily while you are taking this medication.
Additional Monopril Information
- Monopril Drug Interactions Center: fosinopril oral
- Monopril Side Effects Center
- Monopril Overview including Precautions
- Monopril FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Monopril - User Reviews
Monopril User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on handling your hypertension.