"Jan. 31, 2013 -- The risk of hospitalization or death from heart disease is almost a third lower in vegetarians than in people who eat meat and fish, according to a new study.
Researchers from the University of Oxford in England say t"...
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
In the event of overdosage, monitor the patient's cardiac rhythm and blood pressure. Treatment should be supportive and based on symptoms.
MULTAQ is contraindicated in patients with:
- Permanent atrial fibrillation (patients in whom normal sinus rhythm will not or cannot be restored) [see BOXED WARNING and WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Symptomatic heart failure with recent decompensation requiring hospitalization or NYHA Class IV symptoms [see BOXED WARNING and WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Second-or third-degree atrioventricular (AV) block, or sick sinus syndrome (except when used in conjunction with a functioning pacemaker)
- Bradycardia < 50 bpm
- Concomitant use of strong CYP 3A inhibitors, such as ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole, cyclosporine, telithromycin, clarithromycin, nefazodone, and ritonavir [see DRUG INTERACTIONS]
- Concomitant use of drugs or herbal products that prolong the QT interval and might increase the risk of Torsade de Pointes, such as phenothiazine anti-psychotics, tricyclic antidepressants, certain oral macrolide antibiotics, and Class I and III antiarrhythmics
- Liver or lung toxicity related to the previous use of amiodarone
- QTc Bazett interval ≥ 500 ms or PR interval > 280 ms
- Severe hepatic impairment
- Pregnancy (Category X): MULTAQ may cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman. MULTAQ is contraindicated in women who are or may become pregnant. If this drug is used during pregnancy, or if the patient becomes pregnant while taking this drug, the patient should be apprised of the potential hazard to a fetus [see Use In Specific Populations].
- Nursing mothers [see Use In Specific Populations]
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients
Last reviewed on RxList: 2/10/2014
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Multaq Information
Multaq - User Reviews
Multaq User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.