"Peripheral thermometers lack clinically acceptable accuracy and should not be used when precise measurement of core body temperature will influence clinical decisions, according to a meta-analysis published online November 16 in the Annals of "...
NEPHROGENIC SYSTEMIC FIBROSIS
Gadolinium-based contrast agents (GBCAs) increase the risk for NSF among patients with impaired elimination of the drugs. Avoid use of GBCAs in these patients unless the diagnostic information is essential and not available with non-contrasted MRI or other modalities. NSF may result in fatal or debilitating systemic fibrosis affecting the skin, muscle and internal organs.
- The risk for NSF appears highest among patients with:
- chronic, severe kidney disease (GFR <30 mL/min/1.73m²), or
- acute kidney injury.
- Screen patients for acute kidney injury and other conditions that may reduce renal function. For patients at risk for chronically reduced renal function (e.g. age > 60 years, hypertension or diabetes), estimate the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) through laboratory testing.
- For patients at highest risk for NSF, do not exceed the recommended MultiHance dose and allow a sufficient period of time for elimination of the drug from the body prior to any re-administration [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
MultiHance injection is supplied as a sterile, nonpyrogenic, clear, colorless, aqueous solution intended for intravenous use only. Each mL of MultiHance contains 529 mg gadobenate dimeglumine and water for injection. MultiHance contains no preservatives.
Gadobenate dimeglumine is chemically designated as (4RS)-[4-carboxy-5,8,11-tris(carboxymethyl)- 1-phenyl-2-oxa-5,8,11-triazatridecan-13-oato(5-)] gadolinate(2-) dihydrogen compound with 1- deoxy-1-(methylamino)-D-glucitol (1:2) with a molecular weight of 1058.2 and an empirical formula of C22H28GdN3O11 • 2C7H17NO5. The structural formula is as follows:
MULTIHANCE has a pH of 6.5-7.5. Pertinent physicochemical parameters are provided below:
|Osmolality||1.970 osmol/kg @ 37°C|
|Viscosity||5.3 mPas @ 37°C|
|Density||1.220 g/mL @ 20°C|
MULTIHANCE has an osmolality 6.9 times that of plasma (285 mOsmol/kg water) and is hypertonic under conditions of use.
What are the possible side effects of gadobenate dimeglumine (Multihance)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Some side effects of gadobenate dimeglumine may occur up to several days after injection.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst, loss of appetite;
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath;
- seizure (convulsions);
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/12/2012
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional MultiHance Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.