- Clinician Information:
MultiHance Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Multihance
Generic Name: gadobenate dimeglumine (Pronunciation: GAD oh BEN ate dye MEG loo meen)
- What is gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
- What are the possible side effects of gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
- What is the most important information I should know about gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
- How should I take gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (MultiHance)?
- What happens if I overdose (MultiHance)?
- What should I avoid after receiving gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
- What other drugs will affect gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
Gadobenate dimeglumine is a contrast agent that produces magnetic effects. It is used in combination with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to allow blood vessels, organs, and other non-bony tissues to be seen more clearly on the MRI.
Gadobenate dimeglumine is used to help diagnose certain disorders of the brain and spine (central nervous system).
Gadobenate dimeglumine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst, loss of appetite;
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath;
- seizure (convulsions);
- fast, uneven heart rate; or
- pain, burning, swelling, blistering, or skin changes where the injection was given (may occur up to several days after injection).
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- nausea, vomiting;
- fever, sweating, feeling unusually hot;
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- numbness, burning pain, or tingling in your hands or feet;
- mild skin rash; or
- cold feeling, warmth, pain, or bruising where the medicine was injected.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the MultiHance (gadobenate dimeglumine injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about gadobenate dimeglumine (MultiHance)?
Gadobenate dimeglumine can cause a life-threatening condition in people with advanced kidney disease. The symptoms of this condition include:
- burning, itching, swelling, scaling, and tightening or hardening of your skin;
- muscle weakness;
- joint stiffness in your arms, hands, legs, or feet;
- deep bone pain in your ribs or your hips;
- trouble moving; or
- skin redness or discoloration.
Before receiving this medication, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease or if you are on dialysis. You may not be able to receive gadobenate dimeglumine.
Also tell your doctor if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, liver disease (or liver transplant), a heart rhythm disorder, a personal or family history of "Long QT Syndrome," asthma or allergies, a history of seizures, a genetic bilirubin disorder (Dubin Johnson syndrome), if you are over 60 years old, if you have ever had a reaction to a contrast agent, or if you have recently had an injury, surgery, or severe infection.
Your doctor or other healthcare provider may want to watch you for a short time after your test is over. This is to make sure you do not have any unwanted side effects or delayed reactions.
Additional MultiHance Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.