Table of Contents
- Muscle cramps facts
- What are muscle cramps?
- What are the types and causes of muscle cramps?
- Types of muscle cramps: True cramps
- Types of muscle cramps: True cramps (Part 2)
- Types of muscle cramps - True cramps (Part 3)
- Types of muscle cramps - True cramps (Part 4)
- Types of muscle cramps - Tetany
- Types of muscle cramps - Dystonic cramps
- Q: What mimics a muscle cramp?
- Do all muscle cramps fit into the above categories?
- Can medications cause muscle cramps?
- Can vitamin deficiencies cause muscle cramps?
- Can poor circulation cause muscle cramps?
- What are the symptoms of common muscle cramps? How muscle cramps diagnosed?
- What is the treatment of skeletal muscle cramps?
- What is the treatment of skeletal muscle cramps? (Continued)
- How can muscle cramps be prevented?
- How can muscle cramps be prevented? (Part 2)
- How can muscle cramps be prevented? (Part 3)
- How can muscle cramps be prevented? (Part 4)
- Are there particular concerns for older adults?
- Are there medications to prevent muscle cramps?
- What is the prognosis of recurrent muscle cramps?
How can muscle cramps be prevented? (Part 3)
During pregnancy: Supplemental calcium and magnesium have each been shown to help prevent cramps associated with pregnancy. An adequate intake of both of these minerals during pregnancy is important for this and other reasons, but supervision by a qualified health care professional is essential.
While experiencing dystonic cramps: Cramps that are induced by repetitive non-vigorous activities can sometimes be prevented or minimized by careful attention to ergonomic factors such as wrist supports, avoiding high heels, adjusting chair position, activity breaks, and using comfortable positions and equipment while performing the activity. Learning to avoid excessive tension while executing problem activities can help. However, cramps can remain very troublesome for activities that are difficult to modify, such as playing a musical instrument. Continue Reading
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication