Table of Contents
- Muscle spasm facts
- What are the different types of muscle?
- What is skeletal muscle?
- What is smooth muscle?
- What is a muscle spasm?
- What causes muscle spasms?
- What causes muscle spasms? (Part 2)
- What causes muscle spasms? (Part 3)
- What are the symptoms and signs of muscle spasms?
- How are muscle spasms diagnosed?
- How are muscle spasms treated?
What are the different types of muscle?
Muscles are complex structures that cause movement in the body. There are three types of muscle in the body:
- Heart muscle pumps blood (cardiac muscle).
- Skeletal muscle moves the external body parts, like the arms and legs, neck, back, trunk, and the face.
- Smooth muscle moves portions of hollow structures inside the body. Examples include the muscles that line the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, muscles that line large arteries, and the muscles of the uterus. Continue Reading
2/10Reviewed on 1/28/2015
Next: What is skeletal muscle?
Pain and Injury Resources
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication