"Introduction to dental medications
There are several types of medications that are used to manage a variety of diseases involving the oral cavity (mouth) that are part of good dental care. The medications discussed in this article h"...
Mycostatin Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is nystatin (Mycostatin)?
- What are the possible side effects of nystatin (Mycostatin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about nystatin (Mycostatin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking nystatin (Mycostatin)?
- How should I take nystatin (Mycostatin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Mycostatin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Mycostatin)?
- What should I avoid while taking nystatin (Mycostatin)?
- What other drugs will affect nystatin (Mycostatin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking nystatin (Mycostatin)?
Nystatin is not absorbed through your stomach. It will not treat fungal infections in any part of your body other than your mouth. Talk to your doctor if you have another type of fungal infection such as athlete's foot, jock itch, ringworm, or a vaginal yeast infection.
Oral nystatin is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether nystatin will harm an unborn baby. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether nystatin will harm a nursing baby. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take nystatin (Mycostatin)?
Take nystatin exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Take the oral tablets with a full glass of water.
The troches, or pastilles, should be allowed to dissolve in your mouth. Do not chew or swallow them. Suck on one troche at a time until it is completely dissolved.
Shake the suspension well before measuring a dose.
Use a dose-measuring cup, spoon, or dropper to measure the specified dose of the suspension. Swish the suspension around in your mouth, then either spit it out or swallow it, depending upon the instructions given by your doctor.
Take all of the nystatin that has been prescribed for you even if you begin to feel better. Your symptoms may begin to improve before the infection is completely treated.
Store the Bio-Statin brand of nystatin tablets and powder and the Mycostatin Pastilles in the refrigerator.
Store all other nystatin capsules, tablets, and suspension at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Mycostatin Information
- Mycostatin Drug Interactions Center: nystatin top
- Mycostatin Side Effects Center
- Mycostatin Overview including Precautions
- Mycostatin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Mycostatin - User Reviews
Mycostatin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.