Nail Clubbing Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Clubbed nails were described in ancient times by Hippocrates and is a clinical sign that may accompany a number of different disease processes. Clubbing refers to swelling in the tip of the digit that results in loss of the normal angle seen between the nail and the nail bed. The fingertips appear broader and rounder when clubbing is present. While the exact mechanism that leads to clubbing is poorly understood, it is known to develop most often in people with conditions of the heart or lungs that decrease the total amount of oxygen in the blood. However, clubbing can also accompany malignancies and some gastrointestinal conditions. Clubbing may have a slow onset to the point where the individual is unaware of the change. It is usually painless but can rarely be accompanied by discomfort in the fingertips. Rare skin conditions including pachydermoperiostosis and palmoplantar keratoderma are unusual causes of nail clubbing.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fawcett, Robert S., and Sean Lindord, MD. "Nail Abnormalities: Clues to Systemic Disease." American Family Physician 69.6 Mar. 15, 2004.: 1417-1424. <http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0315/p1417.html>.
"Fingernail Abnormalities: Vital Clues to Patient Health." Medscape.com. <http://reference.medscape.com/features/slideshow/fingernail-abnormalities>.
Causes of Nail Clubbing
In This ArticleAlpha Thalassemia Article
- Alpha thalassemia facts*
- What is alpha thalassemia?
- What are the symptoms of alpha thalassemia?
- What are the types of alpha thalassemia?
- How common is alpha thalassemia?
- What genes are related to alpha thalassemia?
- How do people inherit alpha thalassemia?
In This ArticleBeta Thalassemia Article
- What are the thalassemias?
- What is beta thalassemia?
- What is the difference between thalassemia minor and major?
- What is Mediterranean anemia?
- What is the genetic pattern of inheritance of beta thalassemia?
- The diagnosis of thalassemia major and minor
- The treatment of thalassemia major
In This ArticleBronchiectasis Article
- What is bronchiectasis?
- What causes bronchiectasis?
- What are the symptoms of bronchiectasis?
- When should you seek medical care for bronchiectasis?
- How is bronchiectasis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for bronchiectasis?
- What are the complications of bronchiectasis?
- What is the prognosis for bronchiectasis?
- Bronchiectasis At A Glance
In This ArticleChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Article
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease facts
- What is COPD?
- How does the normal lung work?
- What is chronic bronchitis?
- What is emphysema?
- What is chronic asthma?
- What is bronchiectasis?
- What causes COPD?
- What are the symptoms of COPD?
- How is COPD diagnosed?
- What treatment is available for COPD?
- Quitting cigarette smoking
- COPD Medications
- Anti-cholinergic agents
- Breo Ellipta
- Treatment of Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- What is the role of oxygen as therapy in COPD?
- What else is available for treating COPD?
- Future directions in COPD
In This ArticleCirrhosis (Liver) Article
- What is cirrhosis?
- Why does cirrhosis cause problems?
- What are the signs and symptoms of cirrhosis?
- What are the complications of cirrhosis?
- What are the common causes of cirrhosis?
- How is cirrhosis diagnosed and evaluated?
- How is cirrhosis treated?
- What is new and in the future for cirrhosis?
- Cirrhosis At A Glance
In This ArticleCongenital Heart Defects Article
- What are congenital heart defects?
- How the heart works
- What are the types of congenital heart defects?
- What are other names for congenital heart defects?
- What causes congenital heart defects?
- What are the signs and symptoms and signs of congenital heart defects?
- How are congential heart defects diagnosed??
- How are congenital heart defects treated?
- Living with a congenital heart defect
- Congenital Heart Disease At A Glance
In This ArticleCrohn's Disease Article
- Crohn's disease facts
- What is Crohn's disease?
- What causes Crohn's disease?
- How does Crohn's disease affect the intestines?
- How is Crohn's disease different from ulcerative colitis?
- What are the symptoms of Crohn's disease?
- What are the complications of Crohn's disease?
- How is Crohn's disease diagnosed?
- How is Crohn's disease treated?
- Crohn's Disease Medications
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- 5-ASA (mesalamine) oral medications
- 5-ASA rectal medications (Rowasa, Canasa)
- Budesonide (Entocort EC)
- Immuno-modulator medications
- Azathioprine (Imuran) and 6-mercaptopurine (6-MP, Purinethol)
- Infliximab (Remicade)
- Adalimumab (Humira)
- Certolizumab pegol (Cimzia)
- Natalizumab (Tysabri)
- Surgery in Crohn's disease
- Are there any recommendations for diet and supplementation for Crohn's disease?
In This ArticleCystic Fibrosis Article
- Cystic fibrosis facts*
- What is cystic fibrosis?
- What are other names for cystic fibrosis?
- What causes cystic fibrosis?
- Is cystic fibrosis inherited?
- Who is at risk for cystic fibrosis?
- What are the signs and symptoms of cystic fibrosis?
- How is cystic fibrosis diagnosed?
- How is cystic fibrosis treated?
- Living with cystic fibrosis
- What is the outlook for cystic fibrosis?
In This ArticleEmphysema Article
- Emphysema facts
- Introduction to emphysema
- What is emphysema?
- What are the causes or risk factors for emphysema?
- What are symptoms of emphysema?
- How is emphysema diagnosed?
- Physical examination
- Exams and tests
- What are the stages of emphysema?
- What is the treatment for emphysema?
- Smoking cessation
- Medications for emphysema
- Pulmonary rehabilitation for emphysema
- What is the prognosis and life-expectancy of a person with emphysema?
In This ArticleLung Cancer Article
- Lung cancer facts
- What is lung cancer?
- How common is lung cancer?
- What causes lung cancer?
- What are the types of lung cancer?
- What are lung cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is lung cancer diagnosed?
- What is staging of lung cancer?
- What is the treatment for lung cancer?
- What is the prognosis (outcome) of lung cancer?
- How can lung cancer be prevented?
In This ArticleMesothelioma Article
- Mesothelioma facts
- What is mesothelioma?
- What are the symptoms of mesothelioma?
- What causes mesothelioma?
- How much exposure does it take to get mesothelioma?
- How long does it take after exposure for mesothelioma to show up?
- How is mesothelioma diagnosed?
- What is the prognosis for mesothelioma?
- What is the treatment for mesothelioma?
- Is there any promising research or are there promising drugs for mesothelioma?
- What other kinds of information is available for people with mesothelioma?
In This ArticlePneumonia Article
- Pneumonia facts
- What is pneumonia?
- How do people "catch pneumonia"?
- What are pneumonia symptoms and signs in adults and children?
- How is pneumonia diagnosed?
- What are some of the organisms that cause pneumonia? What is the treatment for pneumonia? Can pneumonia be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of pneumonia?
In This ArticlePregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters) Article
- Pregnancy facts*
- What is the first trimester (week 1-week 12)?
- What is the second trimester (week 13-week 28)?
- What is the third trimester (week 29-week 40)?
- How will my baby develop week by week?
- What are the changes that happen to a woman's body during her 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy?
- Body aches
- Breast changes
- Fatigue, sleep problems
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Leg cramps
- Morning sickness
- Nasal problems
- Numb or tingling hands
- Stretch marks, skin changes
- Urinary frequency and leaking
- Varicose veins
In This ArticlePrimary Biliary Cirrhosis Article
- What is PBC?
- What is the scope of the problem?
- What is the cause of PBC?
- What are the symptoms and physical findings in PBC?
- What manifestations are specifically due to PBC itself?
- What are the manifestations of the complications of cirrhosis in PBC?
- What are the manifestations of diseases associated with PBC?
- What are risk factors for PBC?
- How is PBC diagnosed?
- What is the role of blood tests?
- What is the role of testing for antimitochondrial antibodies?
- What is the role of imaging tests?
- What is the role of liver biopsy?
- What are the criteria for a definitive diagnosis of PBC
- What is the course of natural progression in PBC?
- What are the sequential clinical phases of PBC?
- What is the role of mathematical models in predicting the outcome (prognosis) in PBC?
- What about pregnancy in PBC?
In This ArticleSarcoidosis Article
- What is sarcoidosis?
- What are symptoms of sarcoidosis?
- Who gets sarcoidosis?
- What we know about sarcoidosis
- Some things we don't know about sarcoidosis
- How is sarcoidosis diagnosed?
- What are some signs and symptoms that suggest possible sarcoidosis?
- What do laboratory tests show?
- How is sarcoidosis treated?
- Living with sarcoidosis
- Where can a person find more information on sarcoidosis?
- Sarcoidosis At A Glance
In This ArticleThymoma Article
- Thymoma facts
- What is thymoma?
- What causes thymoma, and what are risk factors for thymoma?
- What are signs and symptoms of thymoma?
- What other medical conditions are associated with thymoma?
- How is thymoma diagnosed?
- What are the stages of thymoma?
- What is the treatment for thymoma?
- What is the prognosis for thymoma?
- Can thymoma be prevented?
In This ArticleThyroid Cancer Article
- Thyroid cancer facts*
- What is the thyroid?
- What is cancer?
- What are the different types of thyroid cancer?
- Thyroid cancer symptoms*
- How is thyroid cancer diagnosed?
- How is staging determined for thyroid cancer?
- What is the treatment for thyroid cancer?
- Thyroid hormone treatment
- Radioactive iodine therapy
- External radiation therapy
- Second opinion
- Follow-up care
- Sources of support
- Taking part in cancer research
In This ArticleTuberculosis Article
- Tuberculosis facts
- What is tuberculosis?
- How does a person get TB?
- What happens to the body when a person gets TB?
- How common is TB, and who gets it?
- What are the symptoms and signs of tuberculosis?
- How does a doctor diagnose tuberculosis?
- Is there a vaccine against tuberculosis?
- What is the treatment for tuberculosis?
- What is drug-resistant TB?
- What's in the future for TB?
In This ArticleUlcerative Colitis Article
- Ulcerative colitis facts
- What is ulcerative colitis?
- What causes ulcerative colitis?
- What are the symptoms of ulcerative colitis?
- How is the diagnosis of ulcerative colitis made?
- What are the complications of ulcerative colitis?
- What are the treatments for ulcerative colitis?
- What are ulcerative colitis medications?
- 5-ASA Compounds
- Systemic corticosteroids (including side effects)
- Golimumab (Simponi)
- What are immunomodulator medications?
- Summary of medication treatment
- Surgery for ulcerative colitis
- Treatment by disease severity and location (based on ACG Practice Guidelines)
- Are there any special dietary requirements for persons with ulcerative colitis?
- What research is being done regarding ulcerative colitis?
Other Causes of Nail Clubbing
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.