"The US Food and Drug Administration's (FDA's) Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Devices Panel of the Medical Devices Advisory Committee voted yesterday to recommend premarket approval of the Cartiva Synthetic Cartilage Implant for use in pati"...
(fenoprofen calcium) Capsules, USP 200 mg and 400 mg
- NSAIDs may cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may increase with duration of use. Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk (See WARNINGS).
- Nalfon® (fenoprofen calcium) is contraindicated for the treatment of peri-operative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery (see WARNINGS).
- NSAIDs cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of stomach or intestines, which can be fatal. These events can occur at any time during use and without warning symptoms. Elderly patients are at greater risk for serious gastrointestinal events (see WARNINGS).
Nalfon® (fenoprofen calcium capsules, USP) is a nonsteroidal, anti-inflammatory, antiarthritic drug. Nalfon capsules contain fenoprofen calcium as the dihydrate in an amount equivalent to 200 mg (0.826 mmol) or 400 mg (1.65 mmol) of fenoprofen. The 200 mg capsules contain cellulose, gelatin, iron oxides, silicone, titanium dioxide, and other inactive ingredients. The 400 mg capsules contain gelatin, sodium lauryl sulfate, iron oxide yellow, FD&C Blue 1, titanium dioxide, FD&C Red 40, crospovidone, talc, and magnesium stearate. Chemically, Nalfon (fenoprofen calcium) is an arylacetic acid derivative.
The structural formula is as follows:
Benzeneacetic acid, α-methyl-3-phenoxy-,
calcium salt dihydrate, (±)-
Nalfon (fenoprofen calcium) is a white crystalline powder that has the structural formula C30H26Ca06•2H20 representing a molecular weight of 558.65. At 25°C, it dissolves to a 15 mg/mL solution in alcohol (95%). It is slightly soluble in water and insoluble in benzene.
The pKa of Nalfon (fenoprofen calcium) is a 4.5 at 25°C.
What are the possible side effects of fenoprofen (Nalfon)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking fenoprofen and seek medical attention or call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- confusion, tremors or shaking;
- urinating less than usual or not at...
What are the precautions when taking fenoprofen calcium (Nalfon)?
Before taking fenoprofen, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to aspirin or other NSAIDs (e.g., ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
This medication should not be used if you have certain medical conditions. Before using this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have: severe kidney disease, aspirin-sensitive asthma (a history of worsening breathing with runny/stuffy nose after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs), recent heart bypass surgery (CABG).
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: liver disease, poorly...
Last reviewed on RxList: 8/4/2009
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Nalfon Information
Nalfon - User Reviews
Nalfon User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options