"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a fixed-dose combination of memantine hydrochloride extended-release (XR) and donepezil hydrochloride (Namzaric, Actavis plc/Adamas Pharm) for moderate to severe Alzheimer's-related de"...
Namenda Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is memantine (Namenda)?
- What are the possible side effects of memantine (Namenda)?
- What is the most important information I should know about memantine (Namenda)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking memantine (Namenda)?
- How should I take memantine (Namenda)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Namenda)?
- What happens if I overdose (Namenda)?
- What should I avoid while taking memantine (Namenda)?
- What other drugs will affect memantine (Namenda)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking memantine (Namenda)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to memantine.
Before using memantine, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:
- epilepsy or other seizure disorder;
- liver disease;
- kidney disease; or
- a bladder or kidney infection.
If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take memantine.
FDA pregnancy category B. This medication is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether memantine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take memantine (Namenda)?
Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take the medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results from this medication.
Take this medicine with a full glass of water.
Memantine can be taken with or without food.
The liquid (oral solution) form of this medication comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Follow these directions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Do not mix the oral solution with any other liquids.
Rinse the empty oral syringe with clean water and allow it to air dry after every use.
It is important to use memantine regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, and is not causing harmful effects, doctor will need to check your progress on a regular basis. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.
Store memantine at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep the liquid medicine bottle tightly closed with the cap provided. Do not store the bottle with the oral syringe in it.
Additional Namenda Information
- Namenda Drug Interactions Center: memantine oral
- Namenda Side Effects Center
- Namenda Overview including Precautions
- Namenda FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Namenda - User Reviews
Namenda User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.