"Oct. 24, 2012 -- Women who take hormones within five years of menopause may have a slightly lower risk of Alzheimer's disease compared to women who don't ever take them, a new study shows.
The study, which is published in the journal Ne"...
Namenda XR Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Namenda
Generic Name: memantine (Pronunciation: meh MAN teen)
- What is memantine (Namenda XR)?
- What are the possible side effects of memantine (Namenda XR)?
- What is the most important information I should know about memantine (Namenda XR)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking memantine (Namenda XR)?
- How should I take memantine (Namenda XR)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Namenda XR)?
- What happens if I overdose (Namenda XR)?
- What should I avoid while taking memantine (Namenda XR)?
- What other drugs will affect memantine (Namenda XR)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is memantine (Namenda XR)?
Memantine reduces the actions of chemicals in the brain that may contribute to the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.
Memantine is used to treat moderate to severe dementia of the Alzheimer's type.
Memantine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of memantine (Namenda XR)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using memantine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- cough, chest tightness, fever, trouble breathing;
- chest pain, fast heart rate;
- confusion, hallucinations;
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- lack of coordination;
- fainting or seizure (convulsions);
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness; or
- increased blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, trouble concentrating, chest pain, numbness, seizure).
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite;
- dizziness, tired feeling;
- weight loss;
- swelling in your hands or feet;
- fast heart rate;
- easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- joint pain;
- anxiety, aggression;
- skin rash;
- redness or swelling of or around your eyes; or
- urinating more than usual.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Namenda XR (memantine hydrochloride extended release capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about memantine (Namenda XR)?
Before using memantine, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have a seizure disorder, cataracts, liver or kidney disease, or a bladder or kidney infection.
Memantine can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Additional Namenda XR Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.