"Hospital emergency department visits related to the dangerous hallucinogenic drug Ecstasy, sometimes known as "Molly," increased 128 percent between 2005 and 2011 (from 4,460 visits in 2005 to 10,176 visits in 2011) for visits among patients youn"...
- Clinician Information:
Narcan Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is naloxone (Narcan)?
- What are the possible side effects of naloxone (Narcan)?
- What is the most important information I should know about naloxone (Narcan)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before using naloxone (Narcan)?
- How should I use naloxone (Narcan)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Narcan)?
- What happens if I overdose (Narcan)?
- What should I avoid while using naloxone (Narcan)?
- What other drugs will affect naloxone (Narcan)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before using naloxone (Narcan)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to naloxone.
If possible before you receive naloxone, tell your doctor if you have:
- heart disease;
- a history of head injury or brain tumor; or
- a history of drug or alcohol addiction.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether naloxone will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether naloxone passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use naloxone (Narcan)?
Naloxone is injected into a muscle or under the skin, or into a vein through an IV. You will receive this injection in a clinic or hospital setting.
Your breathing, blood pressure, oxygen levels, kidney function, and other vital signs will be watched closely while you are receiving naloxone. This will help your doctor determine how long to treat you with this medication.
Additional Narcan Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.