"Feb. 25, 2013 (San Antonio, Texas) -- The asthma drug Xolair appears to be a safe and effective treatment for chronic hives, a new study shows.
The results of the study were presented at a news conference here at the American Academy"...
Nasonex Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Nasonex
Generic Name: mometasone nasal (Pronunciation: moe MET a sone)
- What is mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
- What are the possible side effects of mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
- What is the most important information I should know about mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
- How should I use mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Nasonex)?
- What happens if I overdose (Nasonex)?
- What should I avoid while using mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
- What other drugs will affect mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
Mometasone is a steroid. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.
Mometasone nasal is used to treat nasal symptoms such as congestion, sneezing, and runny nose caused by seasonal or year-round allergies. Mometasone is also used to treat nasal polyps in adults.
Mometasone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe or ongoing nose bleed;
- sores in the nose that won't heal;
- wheezing, trouble breathing;
- vision problems; or
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms.
Less serious side effects may include:
- stuffy nose, sore throat, cough;
- muscle or joint pain;
- nausea; or
- sores or white patches inside or around your nose.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Nasonex (mometasone furoate (nasal spray)) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about mometasone nasal (Nasonex)?
Before using mometasone, tell your doctor if you have been sick or had an infection of any kind. Also tell your doctor if you have glaucoma or cataracts, herpes simplex infection of your eyes, tuberculosis, sores or ulcers in your nose, or if you have recently had injury of or surgery on your nose.
It may take up to 2 weeks of using this medicine before your symptoms improve. For best results, keep using the medication as directed. Talk with your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after a week of treatment.
To be sure this medication is not causing harmful effects on your nose or sinuses, your doctor may want to check your progress on a regular basis. Do not miss any scheduled visits to your doctor.
Mometasone nasal can lower the blood cells that help your body fight infections. Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Call your doctor for preventive treatment if you are exposed to chicken pox or measles. These conditions can be serious or even fatal in people who are using mometasone nasal.
Avoid getting this medication in your eyes. If this does happen, rinse with water and call your doctor.
Steroid medicines can affect growth in children. Talk with your doctor if you think your child is not growing at a normal rate while using mometasone nasal.
Additional Nasonex Information
- Nasonex Drug Interactions Center: mometasone nasl
- Nasonex Side Effects Center
- Nasonex Overview including Precautions
- Nasonex FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Nasonex - User Reviews
Nasonex User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.