"Feb. 22, 2011 -- The FDA has issued a safety announcement notifying health care professionals that it has updated the pregnancy section of drug labels for the entire class of antipsychotic medications.
Antipsychotic drugs are used to "...
- Clinician Information:
Navane Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Navane
Generic Name: thiothixene (Pronunciation: THYE oh THIX een)
- What is thiothixene (Navane)?
- What are the possible side effects of thiothixene (Navane)?
- What is the most important information I should know about thiothixene (Navane)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking thiothixene (Navane)?
- How should I take thiothixene (Navane)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Navane)?
- What happens if I overdose (Navane)?
- What should I avoid while taking thiothixene (Navane)?
- What other drugs will affect thiothixene (Navane)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is thiothixene (Navane)?
Thiothixene is an antipsychotic medication. It affects the actions of chemicals in your brain.
Thiothixene is used to treat schizophrenia.
Thiothixene may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Thiothixene 1 mg-MYL
blue/brown, imprinted with MYLAN 1001
Thiothixene 10 mg-MYL
brown/orange, imprinted with MYLAN 5010
Thiothixene 2 mg-MYL
brown/yellow, imprinted with MYLAN 2002
Thiothixene 5 mg-MYL
brown/white, imprinted with MYLAN 3005
What are the possible side effects of thiothixene (Navane)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking thiothixene and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, feeling like you might pass out;
- twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs;
- tremor (uncontrolled shaking);
- trouble swallowing;
- vision changes;
- swelling in your hands or feet;
- seizure (convulsions);
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness; or
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness or drowsiness;
- feeling restless or agitated;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- breast swelling or discharge;
- changes in your menstrual periods;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation;
- changes in weight or appetite;
- dry mouth, increased thirst; or
- impotence, loss of interest in sex.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Navane (thiothixene hcl) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about thiothixene (Navane)?
Thiothixene is not for use in psychotic conditions related to dementia. Thiothixene may cause heart failure, sudden death, or pneumonia in older adults with dementia-related conditions.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to thiothixene, or if you have a blood cell disorder such as anemia or low white blood cells or platelets, or if you have decreased alertness caused by taking certain medications or drinking alcohol.
Call your doctor at once if you have twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs.
Thiothixene may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Thiothixene can decrease perspiration and you may be more prone to heat stroke.
Additional Navane Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on therapy and treatment.