Neck Lift Cosmetic Surgery (cont.)
In this Article
- How a neck lift is done
- Turkey Wattle; Weakened or loose neck muscles
- Excess fat in the neck area
- Too much skin in the neck area
- How should I prepare for a neck lift?
- What is the expected recovery from a neck lift?
- What are the complications and side effects of neck lift surgery?
- Does insurance cover this procedure?
- Find a local Plastic Surgeon in your town
Excess fat in the neck area
During liposuction, your surgeon will make a small incision below the chin and remove the excess fat. If you are undergoing multiple procedures during your neck lift, it is very common for plastic surgeons to begin with liposuction.If this is the only procedure you'll need, you should plan to spend up to an hour undergoing the operation.
You will be able to determine this with your doctor during your pre-operative consultation. Your incisions will be stitched and bandaged. It's very important to follow your doctor's instructions on properly caring for the stitches and bandage in the days following surgery.
Too much skin in the neck area
Just like the platysmaplasty, your surgeon will make similar incisions for a cervicoplasty, trimming parts of the skin and lifting it into place.
It will be secured with tissue glue or stitches. The cervicoplasty can be completed in about two to four hours, depending on the complexity of your procedure. Again, your anesthesia will depend on your own personal comfort level.
Your surgeon will fit you with a compression bandage that you will have to wear for at least one week, unless instructed otherwise. It's important to follow his or her instructions to ensure proper recovery.
How should I prepare for a neck lift?
During your consultation, your surgeon will instruct you on what medications to avoid prior to your surgery. Certain medications and vitamins thin your blood and can cause increased bleeding.
If you are a smoker, you will need to quit at least two weeks before the surgery and two weeks after. You cannot just plan to cut down. You must not smoke for this time period to ensure proper healing.
Also, this is no time for a diet: make sure that you eat properly because this will help your body heal.
Make sure you wear loose, comfortable clothing on the day of surgery. You should especially plan to wear a button-down blouse or shirt that does not have to be pulled over your neck or head.
You should plan to take at least one week off from work to recover. However, your doctor can determine this based on your personal situation.
If you are having platysmaplasty, cervicoplasty, or a combination of any of the procedures we've discussed here, you should plan on having a home recovery area set up before you undergo surgery.
Your Home Recovery Area Should Include:
- Ice packs
- Gauze and towels
- Supply of comfortable, loose clothing (preferably button down shirts or blouses that do not have to be pulled over your neck and head)
- Petroleum jelly and antibacterial ointment for incision sites
- Telephone within reaching distance of where you'll be lying or sitting most of the time
- Supply of pillows which will allow you to keep your head in a comfortable position
- Someone who can stay with you at least the first 24 hours after surgery
© 2005-2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
Viewers share their comments
Find out what women really need.