"Dec. 12, 2012 -- Heavy coffee drinkers -- those who drink more than four cups a day -- may cut their risk of dying from cancers of the mouth and throat by nearly half, according to new research.
"We examined coffee drinking habits in "...
Neulasta Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is pegfilgrastim (Neulasta)?
- What are the possible side effects of pegfilgrastim (Neulasta)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pegfilgrastim (Neulasta)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using pegfilgrastim (Neulasta)?
- How should I use pegfilgrastim (Neulasta)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Neulasta)?
- What happens if I overdose (Neulasta)?
- What should I avoid while using pegfilgrastim (Neulasta)?
- What other drugs will affect pegfilgrastim (Neulasta)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using pegfilgrastim (Neulasta)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to pegfilgrastim or filgrastim (Neupogen).
To make sure you can safely use pegfilgrastim, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- sickle cell disorder;
- chronic myeloid leukemia;
- myelodysplasia (also called "preleukemia"); or
- if you are allergic to latex.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether pegfilgrastim will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
If you are pregnant, your name may be listed on a pregnancy registry. This is to track the outcome of the pregnancy and to evaluate any effects of pegfilgrastim on the baby.
It is not known whether pegfilgrastim passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use pegfilgrastim (Neulasta)?
Pegfilgrastim is injected under the skin. You may be shown how to use injections at home. Do not self-inject this medicine if you do not fully understand how to give the injection and properly dispose of used needles and syringes.
This medication comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Follow these directions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Pegfilgrastim is usually given once per chemotherapy cycle. This medication should not be given within 14 days before or 24 hours after you receive chemotherapy.
Do not shake the prefilled syringe or you may ruin the medicine. Prepare your dose only when you are ready to give yourself an injection. Do not use the medication if it has changed colors or has particles in it. Call your doctor for a new prescription.
Each prefilled syringe is for one use only. Throw away after one use, even if there is still some medicine left in it after injecting your dose.
Throw away used needles in a puncture-proof container (ask your pharmacist where you can get one and how to dispose of it). Keep this container out of the reach of children and pets.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood will need to be tested often. This will help your doctor determine how long to treat you with pegfilgrastim. Visit your doctor regularly.
Store this medication in the refrigerator, do not freeze. Protect from light and do not shake. Take the medicine out and allow it to reach room temperature for 30 minutes before injecting your dose.
Throw away any unused syringes after the expiration date on the label has passed.
Additional Neulasta Information
- Neulasta Drug Interactions Center: pegfilgrastim subq
- Neulasta Side Effects Center
- Neulasta Overview including Precautions
- Neulasta FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Neulasta - User Reviews
Neulasta User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.