"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved an expanded indication for onabotulinum toxin A (Botox, Actavis) for the treatment of adults with upper limb spasticity, according to a company news release.
The expanded i"...
Nimotop Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Nimotop
Generic Name: nimodipine (Pronunciation: nih MO dih peen)
- What is nimodipine (Nimotop)?
- What are the possible side effects of nimodipine (Nimotop)?
- What is the most important information I should know about nimodipine (Nimotop)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking nimodipine (Nimotop)?
- How should I take nimodipine (Nimotop)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Nimotop)?
- What happens if I overdose (Nimotop)?
- What should I avoid while taking nimodipine (Nimotop)?
- What other drugs will affect nimodipine (Nimotop)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is nimodipine (Nimotop)?
Nimodipine is in a group of drugs called calcium channel blockers. Nimodipine relaxes (widens) blood vessels and improves blood flow.
Nimodipine is used to prevent brain damage caused by reduced blood flow to the brain resulting from aneurysm (AN-yor-iz-m), a dilated or ruptured blood vessel in the brain.
Nimodipine may also be used for purposes other than those listed here.
What are the possible side effects of nimodipine (Nimotop)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using nimodipine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- unusually fast or slow heartbeats;
- fainting or severe dizziness;
- easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- swelling in your legs or ankles.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely. Continue taking nimodipine and talk to your doctor if you have any of these less serious side effects:
- mild dizziness;
- flushing (redness, warmth, or tingling feeling);
- nausea, constipation; or
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Nimotop (nimodipine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about nimodipine (Nimotop)?
Before taking nimodipine, tell your doctor if you have liver disease, low blood pressure, high blood pressure (hypertension) for which you take medicine, or a history of heart problems such as a slow heart rate, congestive heart failure, or heart attack.
Nimodipine gel capsules are to be taken by mouth only. The medicine in the capsule should never be placed into a needle and syringe and injected into a vein. If the person taking nimodipine cannot swallow the capsule, use a needle to make a hole in each end of the capsule, and squeeze the medicine out into an oral syringe. The syringe can then be used to give the medicine through a nasogastric (through the nose and into the stomach) tube.
If you are able to swallow capsules, take nimodipine on an empty stomach, one hour before or two hours after meals.
Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking nimodipine. Alcohol and nimodipine may cause low blood pressure, drowsiness, or dizziness.
Do not stop taking nimodipine without first talking to your doctor, even if you begin to feel better. If you stop taking the medication, your condition could become worse.
Additional Nimotop Information
- Nimotop Drug Interactions Center: nimodipine oral
- Nimotop Side Effects Center
- Nimotop Overview including Precautions
- Nimotop FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Nimotop - User Reviews
Nimotop User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.