"Scientists at the National Institutes of Health report they have discovered in mouse studies that a small molecule released in the spinal cord triggers a process that is later experienced in the brain as the sensation of itch.
- Clinician Information:
Nizoral Shampoo Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Extina, Kuric, Nizoral A-D, Nizoral Topical, Xolegel
Generic Name: ketoconazole topical (Pronunciation: kee toe KOE na zole)
- What is ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
- What are the possible side effects of ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider berfore using ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
- How should I apply ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Nizoral Shampoo)?
- What happens if I overdose (Nizoral Shampoo)?
- What should I avoid while using ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
- What other drugs will affect ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
Ketoconazole topical is an antifungal medication. Ketoconazole topical prevents fungus from growing on your skin.
Ketoconazole topical is used to treat fungal infections of the skin such as athlete's foot, jock itch, ringworm, and seborrhea (dry, flaking skin).
Ketoconazole topical is available as a cream, gel, and as a shampoo. The shampoo is used for the treatment of dandruff.
Ketoconazole topical may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Ketoconazole 2% Cream-FOU
Ketoconazole 2% Cr-TAR
Ketoconazole 2% Sham-PER
What are the possible side effects of ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using ketoconazole topical and call your doctor if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe itching, burning, or irritation where the medicine is applied;
- oily or dry scalp, mild hair loss;
- redness, pain, or oozing of treated skin areas; or
- eye redness, swelling, or irritation.
Less serious side effects include:
- mild skin itching or irritation;
- dry skin; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Nizoral Shampoo (ketoconazole 2%) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ketoconazole topical (Nizoral Shampoo)?
Use this medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated.
Do not use bandages or dressings over the treated skin areas, unless your doctor has told you to.
Avoid getting this medication in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
Wait at least 20 minutes after applying this medicine before you use cosmetics or sunscreen on the treated skin area. Do not wash the treated skin for at least 3 hours after applying ketoconazole topical.
Call your doctor if your condition does not improve within 2 weeks, or if your symptoms get worse.
Stop using ketoconazole topical and call your doctor if you have severe burning, irritation, redness, pain, or oozing where the medicine is applied.
Ketoconazole topical gel is flammable. Do not use it while you are smoking or near an open flame.
Do not use this medication on a child younger than 12 years old.
Additional Nizoral Shampoo Information
- Nizoral Shampoo Drug Interactions Center: ketoconazole top
- Nizoral Shampoo Side Effects Center
- Nizoral Shampoo FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.