"Oct. 31, 2014 -- People with asthma, particularly older ones, face a greater risk of getting dementia, a new study suggests.
More research is needed to confirm the findings, the researchers say.
The study, led by Yi-Hao Peng, Departme"...
Nuedexta Capsules Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Nuedexta
Generic Name: dextromethorphan and quinidine (Pronunciation: DEX troe meth OR fan and KWIN i deen)
- What is dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
- How should I take dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Nuedexta Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Nuedexta Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while taking dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
Dextromethorphan affects the signals in the brain that trigger cough reflex and is generally used as a cough suppressant.
Quinidine affects the way that the heart beats and is generally used to in people with certain heart rhythm disorders.
The combination of dextromethorphan and quinidine is used to treat involuntary outbursts of crying or laughing in people with certain neurological disorders, including multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease).
Dextromethorphan and quinidine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using dextromethorphan and quinidine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeat;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- fever, chills, flu symptoms, nausea, vomiting, feeling light-headed;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- agitation, hallucinations, fever, fast heart rate, overactive reflexes, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, fainting; or
- joint pain or swelling with fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, unusual thoughts or behavior, and/or seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects may include:
- diarrhea, gas, mild stomach pain;
- muscle spasm;
- dizziness, weakness;
- cough; or
- swelling in your hands or feet.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Nuedexta Capsules (dextromethorphan hydrobromide and quinidine sulfate capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about dextromethorphan and quinidine (Nuedexta Capsules)?
You should not take dextromethorphan and quinidine if you are also taking quinidine (Quin-G), quinine (Qualaquin), or mefloquine (Lariam), or if you have ever had an allergic reaction or serious medical problem caused by taking any of these medications.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to dextromethorphan or quinidine, or if you have heart failure, a serious heart condition called "AV block" (unless you have a pacemaker), or a history of Long QT syndrome or life-threatening heart rhythm disorder.
Before you take this medication, tell your doctor if you have slow heartbeats or any other type of heart rhythm disorder, an electrolyte imbalance, bladder or bowel obstruction, myasthenia gravis, or a family history of Long QT syndrome.
There are many other drugs that can cause serious or life threatening medical problems if you take them together with dextromethorphan and quinidine. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Additional Nuedexta Capsules Information
- Nuedexta Capsules Drug Interactions Center: dextromethorphan-quinidine oral
- Nuedexta Capsules Side Effects Center
- Nuedexta Capsules Overview including Precautions
- Nuedexta Capsules FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Nuedexta Capsules - User Reviews
Nuedexta Capsules User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.