"A new report indicates that more than one in five parents of teens aged 12 to 17 (22.3 percent) think what they say has little influence on whether or not their child uses illicit substances, tobacco, or alcohol. This report by the Substanc"...
Nutropin AQ Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Genotropin, Genotropin Miniquick, Humatrope, Norditropin, Norditropin Cartridge, Norditropin FlexPro Pen, Norditropin Nordiflex Pen, Nutropin, Nutropin AQ, Omnitrope, Saizen, Serostim, Tev-tropin, Zorbtive
Generic Name: somatropin (Pronunciation: soe ma TROE pin)
- What is somatropin (Nutropin AQ)?
- What are the possible side effects of somatropin?
- What is the most important information I should know about somatropin?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using somatropin?
- How should I use somatropin?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while using somatropin?
- What other drugs will affect somatropin?
- Where can I get more information?
What is somatropin (Nutropin AQ)?
Somatropin is a form of human growth hormone. Human growth hormone is important in the body for the growth of bones and muscles.
Somatropin is used to treat growth failure in children and adults who lack natural growth hormone, and in those with chronic kidney failure, Noonan syndrome, Turner syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, short stature at birth with no catch-up growth, and other causes. Somatropin is also used to prevent severe weight loss in people with AIDS, or to treat short bowel syndrome.
Somatropin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of somatropin?
If you have Prader-Willi syndrome, call your doctor promptly if you develop signs of lung or breathing problems such as shortness of breath, coughing, or new or increased snoring. Rare cases of serious breathing problems have occurred in patients with Prader-Willi syndrome who use somatropin.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
- increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, blurred vision, and weight loss;
- sudden and severe pain behind your eyes, vision changes;
- swelling in your head, face, hands, or feet; or
- numbness or tingling in your wrist, hand, or fingers.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, feeling tired;
- redness, soreness, swelling, rash, itching, pain, or bruising where the medicine was injected;
- pain in your arms or legs, joint stiffness or pain;
- muscle pain; or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Nutropin AQ (somatropin (rdna origin)) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about somatropin?
Before you receive somatropin, tell your doctor about all your past and present medical conditions, especially allergies, trauma, surgery, diabetes, cancer, breathing problems, liver or kidney disease, scoliosis, high blood pressure, pancreas disorder, underactive thyroid, or a brain tumor.
Also tell your doctor about all other medications you use, especially steroids or diabetes medications. Your dosages of these medicines may need to be changed when you start using somatropin. Do not stop using a steroid suddenly or change any of your medication doses without your doctor's advice.
If you have Prader-Willi syndrome and are using somatropin, call your doctor promptly if you develop signs of lung or breathing problems such as shortness of breath, coughing, or new or increased snoring.
Call your doctor at once if you have sudden and severe pain in your upper stomach with nausea and vomiting, fast heartbeat, increased thirst or urination, weight loss, or vision changes and sudden, severe pain behind your eyes.
Additional Nutropin AQ Information
- Nutropin AQ Drug Interactions Center: somatropin subq
- Nutropin AQ Side Effects Center
- Nutropin AQ Overview including Precautions
- Nutropin AQ FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Nutropin AQ - User Reviews
Nutropin AQ User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.